Options

Fast Subnetting For Exam

jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
Hi guys,

I'm new here, after a quick search on these forums I couldn't find what I was looking for.

Basically I'm going for the 802 exam in a few months, and I've been told that time should be valued during the test and you should be able to pretty much subnet off the top of your head.

I completely understanding subnetting but not too confident that I can answer questions lightning fast.

I was thinking as soon as the exam started I could very quickly write down the following table or something similar (perhaps with another column including amount of subnets available):

sheet.jpg

Would this be a good idea to save time? What's your technique? I'm guessing converting to binary is out of the question icon_rolleyes.gif

Any advice would be very much appreciated, and I'm sorry if it has been covered before.

Comments

• Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    If you can remember all of that then you can probably learn how to do subnetting in your head. Its easier and quicker.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Todd teaches subnetting -- the "easy way" -- in the Sybex 6th (and earlier) edition. The link to that (and www.subnettingquestions.com and www.learntosubnet.com) are in the CCNA FAQ.

It is a good idea to have a "backup subnetting chart" that you are comfortable with that you can write down on your dry erase marker board before the exam (during the Exam Tutorial and NDA) -- just in case.

Links to the Cisco Exam Tutorial and the Cisco Non-Disclosure agreement are also in the CCNA FAQ -- read them now so that you can use the time before the exam for other things -- like jotting down notes, or just getting to the exam that much quicker.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    dredlorddredlord Member Posts: 172
    The 3 step process taught in the CBT nuggets videos is excellent you can work out a subnet question in about 1min :D I HIGHLY RECOMMEND It as it taught me subnetting
  • Options
    wolverene13wolverene13 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is my chart that I use, I think it's the easiest one to use:

CIDR - /25 /26 /27 /28 /29 /30 /31 /32
    Mask - .128 .192 .224 .240 .248 .252 .254 .255
    Total hosts - 128 64 32 16 8 4 X X
    Useable hosts - 126 62 30 14 6 2 X X
    # of Subnets - 2 4 8 16 32 64 X X

It would be good to just learn to subnet in your head, but it wouldn't hurt to write something like this down.
    Currently Studying: CCIP - 642-611 - MPLS
    CCIP Progress: [x] BSCI
    [x] BGP
    [ ] MPLS
    [ ] QoS
  • Options
    kevin31kevin31 Member Posts: 154
    How does the above table work then?
    LAB - 4 X 2651XM's 1 X 2620 3 X 2950 1 X 2509 AS 1 X 3550
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    I agree with dredlord, the cbtnuggets way is really easy. I can now do it in my head in about 30 seconds! Also do plenty of practice on subnettingquestions.com