Drum Set

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
Has anyone here ever played a drums? I've been wanting and dreaming to play one since I was 16, and 14 years has passed, I still have not gotten even a drum stick...

Well anyway perhaps you can give me a 101 on this stuff, this is the drumset that I've been looking into purchasing.

Pearl Drum VMX - Maple Wood http://www.pearldrum.com/vision-vmx.asp

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You could try something smaller and cheaper, but almost as noisy -- and then decide if you still want the real thing (assuming you do have rhythm).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    My brother is a drummer of many years, and he just went digital. Neighbors and people living with you will not hate you as much going that route. :P

Not sure what brand he went with. He loves them.
    Good luck to all!
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    My brother is a drummer of many years, and he just went digital. Neighbors and people living with you will not hate you as much going that route. :P

Not sure what brand he went with. He loves them.

I don't know anything about digital drum sets but I do know that even in my basement, you can hear the drums from across the street. Unfortunately the urge to play at 2am is not a good idea in the suburbs. icon_lol.gif
    Or anywhere but an isolated farm/ranch. icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Id start with something 'entry level' in other words, some cheap ass kit and see if you like it. Last thing you want lying around is a $900+ investment collecting dust. In guitar translation, I always hated it when the 15 year old kid had a Gibson Les Paul Custom that cost more than my entire rig, but couldn't even play 'smoke on the water' without screwing up... icon_rolleyes.gif So dont be that guy. :P

Ive always wanted to get drums too. They are freaking loud, even with drum pads on them though. Either way, good luck!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Or anywhere but an isolated farm/ranch. icon_lol.gif

Ahhhh... Those are good times! My buddy and I used to take our equipment to my property (A farm house on 180 acres) and play all through the night.... Of course the more we drank, the better we thought we sounded! icon_lol.gif
  • draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    As a drummer I'd say there are two real schools of thought. Basically it comes down to are you serious about becoming a drummer (that's first). Do you have a preference for acoustical (standard) or digital (that's second).

I'll address the second first. As pointed out digital gives you the advantage of plugging in a headset and jamming at all hours of the day. Assuming you don't bang away so that the sound of the drum stick striking the pad annoys anyone that lives with you. Also a good set is very customizable allowing you to get exactly the sound you're looking for. They're are usually smaller and take up much less room as well. On the other hand many "purists" believe that accoustical is the only way to go. Having played both I'd say that for true sound and feel you just can't beat accoustical. But if I was to get a set again I'd go digital for the space/sound factor.

As for the first issue. You need to really do some soul searching as to why and how much you want to become a drummer (not to mention having the desire/motivation to become a good one). If it's just something you always wanted to try or you think would be cool, then I'd recommend a cheap set (first act, etc.) or something picked up used (craigslist, local pawn shop, etc.) that way you're not out much if you decide it's not for you. Or even better see if there is a local music store where you can get lessons and use a set on site while doing so. Then you're only out the cost of lessons if you don't like it. If you think this is something you'll really want to do and are going to stick with then definitely buy a good set (accoustical or digital) right off the bat. Once you have it you won't regret the money spent and it's easier to buy a good set right away instead of trying to unload the cheaper set so you can buy something better later on.

As for brands. I haven't got a real preference on digital (haven't done enough homework) but a good music store can point you in the right direction. On the accoustical side, if you're going for quality then Pearl, Ludwig, Tama, Yamaha and DW are my favorites.

Hope that helps and good luck.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I played electric keyboard in highschool I was not bad but I don't suck either, but drums is something that I can tell that I can be inlove playing with, since i did a soul searching and it's something that I would really love to be good at, everytime I hear a music I try to follow it along and I can feel it in my soul, that I can be really good at this. I used to grabs pots and buckets when I was in high school/college.

But again I really have to consider my neighbors specially I live in an apartment, being evicted is the last thing I needed to happen, and since that I can tell that I am really sooo interested in a drum set, I was just thinking of getting quality, I still have to debate on digital or actual one. If I get a regular acoustic drum set, I will try to hustle some silencer for the symbals.

My 2 best friend in the philippines used to be in a band, basist and a lead guitarist, and they play at the drummers house, and one of the neighbors actually went in their house and started a fight and hit the drummers dad in the face, cause of the noise icon_sad.gif

some posts here made me laugh thanks icon_lol.gif
    Now going forward with buying high end stuff, this has actually happened to me already I got a dual shock giant bike that has been collecting dust, after using it for only twice, then a ln46a650 1080p 120 hertz that I got recently, that is also something that I barely used, cause I only watch Blue ray movie once a month... I think my eyes icon_eek.gif is bigger than my stomach. icon_lol.gif
    Sounds like you've thought it through pretty well. If fact you sound like a typical drummer to me, always banging away on something. I'd go for quality.

Accoustic sets are nice and IMO give the best "true" sound. You can get some thick foam to put in the drums themselves (especially the bass) and drum pads which helps alot with the sound but I don't know about muffling the cymbals. But no-one says you have to slam the cymbals all the time. Of course there is no need to go all out on the drums either. Espcially during practice/learning sessions as you'll need to be focused on playing properly and not loudly.

On the other hand a digital set could make you a much more popular neighbor. Plus a decent 5 or 7 piece set wont take up nearly the amount of room as an accoustic set would.

http://www.drums-and-drum-sets.com/ is a good place to start.

http://www.drums-and-drum-sets.com/ also.

Dave
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
    drainey wrote:
    Sounds like you've thought it through pretty well. If fact you sound like a typical drummer to me, always banging away on something. I'd go for quality.

Accoustic sets are nice and IMO give the best "true" sound. You can get some thick foam to put in the drums themselves (especially the bass) and drum pads which helps alot with the sound but I don't know about muffling the cymbals. But no-one says you have to slam the cymbals all the time. Of course there is no need to go all out on the drums either. Espcially during practice/learning sessions as you'll need to be focused on playing properly and not loudly.

On the other hand a digital set could make you a much more popular neighbor. Plus a decent 5 or 7 piece set wont take up nearly the amount of room as an accoustic set would.

http://www.drums-and-drum-sets.com/ is a good place to start.

http://www.drums-and-drum-sets.com/ also.

Dave

Thanks, I'll be a cool geek YEAH icon_cool.gif

no seriously I just really been wanting one and I just love it, I'll post a pix as soon I have it setup...
    Good luck. Take your time and pick a good one you'll really like.

And remember when you've had a really crappy day you can tape a pic of the person(s) who pissed you off the most on the drum heads and beat their heads in all night long. Great stress relief.
    I wanted to share my experience with my recent music instrument purchase.

A few years ago, I went through the same thing with buying a piano. I love playing piano, and I love the sound of a good acoustic piano, but I considered digital after my brother seemed happy with his digital drumset. I decided I would go try some digitals out, and see if I could find one I was happy with.

What I discovered was for the money, it would get me a better piano than what an acoustic would. I tried some Casios, Yamahas, Rolands, before settling on a Kawai. All of the other pianos except for the Kawaii felt like I was compromising in sound and feel for the sake of getting a digital and its associated conveniences. The keys felt like they were made of plastic, not wood. The sound of them sounded almost like an acoustic, but you knew it was digital.

The Kawai CA-5 that I bought though was different, although it cost significantly more. For $2500, I got the convenience of a digital, with a feel of what would be very very close to a really nice acoustic. The keys were wooden, the speakers were mounted underneath the keys, so when you play, the keys vibrate very much like a real piano. The keys are progressively weighted, just like a real piano, and the action of the keys was like a grand piano, something I could never afford. For $2500, there is no way I could ever get anywhere near the quality of a piano if I went acoustic.

It's the best piano I could buy for $2500, and I would have had to spend at least double that to get something that would even approach it if I went acoustic, bottom line, and I don't feel I compromised sound or feel one bit. I sat in the store and compared that piano to a $15,000 acoustic grand piano, and while I could tell a difference, I feel honest in saying there was for all intents and purposes no difference. And the best part is a digital piano never has to be tuned or really have any regular maintenance done to it.

I guess my advice to you is go try some digital sets and then make your decision. Maybe there simply isn't a digital set that's this good for the money. You won't know until you try them with an open mind. In my case, I absolutely love my digital piano. After owning it for two years and getting used to being able to play piano even if my wife goes to bed, I don't think I'd buy an acoustic piano even if I somehow had the money to blow.

And now I want to play it... icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    All Hail.....

John Henry "Bonzo" Bonham (May 31, 1948 – September 25, 1980)

&

Keith John Moon (August 23, 1946 – September 7, 197icon_cool.gif
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
    Finally my 1st solo gig lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuVHNvSdJ0o

I got a VBX I still haven't received it...