Options

CCNA Advice

sainthsainth Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
I need your advice but please be gentle to me icon_smile.gif

Here's my story, I finished in Cisco Academy taking CCNA but have not take the exam and that was 2 to 3 years ago. The reason why I did not take the exam is that we're moving in the US and I know that it's hard to find a job in our area(we have a contract to stay here for 3 years). I decided not to take the exam because I'm afraid that I wont be able to use it and it will just expire. I'm thinking now that I did a bad decesion because I already forgot almost everything.

My question is, if I will use the CBT nuggets and a home lab to get into it, would that help me pass CCNA or even land a job in Raleigh, NC? I'm planning to get a CCNA kit at CISCOKITS. So before ordering a kit, could someone give me an advice on what to do.

By the way, for the last 2 years I've stay here in the US, I only worked as PC Tech on a small shop and able to get an MCP.

Thank you so much and hope someone with a kind heart will give me advice on what to do.

Sainth

Comments

• Options
    ChrisfromtheVilleChrisfromtheVille Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You should get some hands on experience of some sort, either in a lab, or on the job. Without going into great detail, you're going to see a lot of simulations, and they will make or break your test experience.

Other than that, be familiar with everything in the books.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You should be able to get Alumni Access to the Cisco Network Academy website -- and access to the latest courseware for the courses you took. It's worth checking out -- especially if you liked the Academy courses.

The CBT Nuggets should help refresh your memory -- they definitely won't hurt. But they are just an additional resource to use -- not a single magic study solution.

With your Academy Lab experience, you should be able to figure out what you'd need (or want) for a lab. If you go with CiscoKits -- skip the kits with the 1900 switches -- those haven't been tested for years. The prices of the 2950 switches have dropped on eBay if you search there, so that's what we'll usually recommend now for the CCNA -- but you might get by with 1 2950 and 2 of the cheaper 2924-XL-EN (you WANT the ENterprise version).

Check out the CCNA FAQ for the suggested books, lab discussions, and simulator options. The current CCNA exam has some SDM tasks -- and there are a couple SDM links in the FAQ pointing to the supported routers (you'd want a supported router in your home lab for SDM) and an SDM demo.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    sainthsainth Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you, I will do all your advice... I'm planning to buy cisco kits and just get switch from ebay... I hope this will help me with CCNA and able to get a decent job. icon_smile.gif