PC entering power save mode at boot

aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
hey guys, just put a new motherboard in my PC and when I power it on it shuts off after not very long and says enteringpower saving mode.

i've got a 850watt PSU with everything plugged in properly. It also not happening at a set time i.e. I turned it on and it lasted a minute and the next time it was 30 seconds.

any ideas?
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The monitor is probably what is going into power save mode not the computer. I would check the fans first. It sounds like your computer could be over heating.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sthomas wrote:
    The monitor is probably what is going into power save mode not the computer. I would check the fans first. It sounds like your computer could be over heating.

all the fans are working at boot and 'power save' message comes before the pc turns itself off and then the monitor displays it's own power save message
    Does the computer actually shut off or is it stil getting power? Does it get past the POST? I would try to reseat the memory and the CPU and see what happens.
    sthomas wrote:
    Does the computer actually shut off or is it stil getting power? Does it get past the POST? I would try to reseat the memory and the CPU and see what happens.

if I press continue (f1) it get's as far as booting from the windows vista disk and then shut's off completely.
    It doesn't seem to matter what the PC is doing i.e. I can eneter setup and after a bit it will shut off or press contine and after a bit it will shut off.

I had a bit of confusion over the RAM I bought because in the motherboard manuall it says up to 1200mhz but on the front of the box it has a big thing saying 800mhz. The memory I have is 1066mhz, could that be the problem?
  • macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    What motherboard is it? Some types of boards and ram, will let you run the faster ram but will slow it down.
    sthomas wrote:

if I press continue (f1) it get's as far as booting from the windows vista disk and then shut's off completely.
    It doesn't seem to matter what the PC is doing i.e. I can eneter setup and after a bit it will shut off or press contine and after a bit it will shut off.

I had a bit of confusion over the RAM I bought because in the motherboard manuall it says up to 1200mhz but on the front of the box it has a big thing saying 800mhz. The memory I have is 1066mhz, could that be the problem?

What error message are you getting when you have to press F1 to continue? I have had something similar to this happen before, it ended up being a bad motherboard. I would start removing components to start narrowing down the problem. If you have a different powersupply I would try that as well. Also make sure there are no loose screws or anything on the motherboard. At this point I would think it was either the powersupply or motherboard but it is hard to say. Even though the motherboard is new it could be bad, I have had that happen as well. Just start by trying a different working powersupply and if needed remove componets to try and narrow down the problem.
    sthomas wrote:
    sthomas wrote:

What error message are you getting when you have to press F1 to continue? I have had something similar to this happen before, it ended up being a bad motherboard. I would start removing components to start narrowing down the problem. If you have a different powersupply I would try that as well. Also make sure there are no loose screws or anything on the motherboard. At this point I would think it was either the powersupply or motherboard but it is hard to say. Even though the motherboard is new it could be bad, I have had that happen as well. Just start by trying a different working powersupply and if needed remove componets to try and narrow down the problem.

there's no error message it just shuts off
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    If you boot into the bios and just let it sit there will it still power off? Strip down to the basics. Trying a different power supply would also be a good idea. Disconnect all usb devices as well.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • SoulreaverSoulreaver Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    have you checked the temperature in the bios? i know you said that you checked the fans, but can you go into the bios >> power >> temp monitor and just watch it to make sure that its not overheating
    undomiel wrote:
    If you boot into the bios and just let it sit there will it still power off? Strip down to the basics. Trying a different power supply would also be a good idea. Disconnect all usb devices as well.

yes it shuts off if you just sit in the bios, i'll try those two things now
    Soulreaver wrote:
    have you checked the temperature in the bios? i know you said that you checked the fans, but can you go into the bios >> power >> temp monitor and just watch it to make sure that its not overheating

think this might be it the cpu temp is rising pretty quick and got up to 125 C before shutting off
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Strip down to just psu, cpu, motherboard, ram. Make it only one stick of ram as well. See if it still shuts off. If it doesn't then start adding parts in. If it does and replacing the power supply doesn't do it and you're 100% sure you're not having overheating problems, then I'd suspect either the motherboard or cpu. I would check on the overheating again though as suggested earlier. Make sure the thermal paste is still good on the cpu and the heatsink is making proper contact. I've seen a few cases where the thermal paste was all dried up.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • SoulreaverSoulreaver Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Soulreaver wrote:

think this might be it the cpu temp is rising pretty quick and got up to 125 C before shutting off

check to make sure the hsf is seated properly, has thermal paste etc etc, and err be careful when you keep powering up over and over, you can fry your cpu
    it was a overheating problem in the end, I had to go out and get some composite paste which is keeping th temp down and i'm pretty sure my cpu made it though without having any lasting damage