Advice

remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
Guys and Gals:
I am a systems administrator at a colocation company. I just obtained my CCNA and I have a dilemma. I wanted to get some advice from everyone. Being the sys admin at a small company I wear a lot of hats. I configure routers/switches, perform admin tasks on windows and nix systems, rack equipment etc. I have my Linux + and I am decent with Linux but not strong. I want to advance my nix admin skills (I want to start reading the RHCE book , not to get the cert but just to learn) as well as learn scripting, some programming (PERL) but I am also faced with whether or not I should focus on my CCNP. Any suggestions?

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You could always do both. Since you are not working toward the RHCE at this point you could study for CCNP and use any time you want a break from your CCNP studies and start learning RHCE level stuff. If that does not work for you then the best thing to do is to work on which topic interests you the most. Also, consider your career goals. If you think you want to be a Linux Admin in the future then hit *nix hard. If you want to be a Network Engineer or get into Voice then work on the CCNP exclusively.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    My dilemma is that both are utilized at my job. I don't know if I want to be a Linux Admin exclusively but I would like to have that skill under my belt, same thing goes for Cisco. Maybe since I already have my CCNA I will hit the nix stuff hard and read up on the CCNP at my leisure.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Elaborating on sthomas's point, you need to be looking toward the future. If you want to be doing primarily Cisco then focus your studies on that. If you plan on moving into a large company with the big bucks then you need to specialize. Being at a Cisco and Linux intermidiatary level isn't going to be as benefical as being say a Cisco master when looking at the larger companies.

If you plan to stay at small companies for your career then that is a fine goal but beware of the pro and cons of both. (most people want the $)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    I see your point. The company staff is small but this is the largest privately owned colo in Cincinnati and it's growing by the month. How come I can't be great in both? LOL
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    RHCE subjects aren't as complex as CCNP subjects, imo.

I would study both at the same time to help you better understand how the two technologies can work together. That's what I'm doing. If anything, I'm learning more about both by studying them both at the same time.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I see your point. The company staff is small but this is the largest privately owned colo in Cincinnati and it's growing by the month. How come I can't be great in both? LOL
    You could, but the others are right, master one first.
    I think I will start with RHCE then mainly because my job utilizes it more than an advanced Cisco certification. Thanks for the advice guys.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think I will start with RHCE then mainly because my job utilizes it more than an advanced Cisco certification. Thanks for the advice guys.

You (and anyone else) are welcome to join our RHCE study group. Send me a PM if you're interested.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Small companies are GREAT for building your skills, if you are blessed (or cursed! depending on your point of view) with multiple hats.

My advice is similar, pick one to master, but try to achieve some level of basic competency in any discipline that is utilized in your environment, if you can. And if immediate monetary gains aren't the most important thing to you, milk this puppy for all it's worth! Sounds like the ideal environment for growing your skills. Though I have it pretty good these days, I'm kind of jealous.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...