help

SoulreaverSoulreaver Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
this site has been really great, an inspiration to me and offered great advice when it comes to certification exams and other stuff, i am one of those members that mostly just reads and makes a rare post now and then.

so for the past few months i have been studying really really hard for the cissp exam, even though i have no business taking it, i am aware of the requirements even though i am still in college(no real job or experience/background other than vmware/test environments/school labs) i decided to study for and try to take it

i was supposed to take the exam today, yesterday i was kind of like well i dont really care if i pass or fail at this point after being saturated with so much information of the 10 domains that i just wanted to get it over with

i arrived at the hotel the exam was supposed to be held at only to find out when i asked the staff behind the counter that they had no idea about any exam that was supposed to be held today

i quickly called isc2 and it turns out the date of the exam was a month ago, but on my email it said it was today and asked what to do, they told me to forward them a copy of the email they sent out and they would get back to me

i sent the email out, spoke to a rep and after hearing them say things like "our email has been giving issues, we will check it out and see what we can do"

after not being able to sleep well being worried about this really difficult exam, every person i have spoken/ or posts read have said that this exam says its difficult/analytical style questions/ multiple right answers "have to choose the best right one"

at this point im kind of upset/angry/annoyed/confused....i mean this exam costs alot of money and i feel i have been ripped off, i dont really have a proper job(international student) and im on a fixed income(parents/part time random work)

what would you suggest i do from here

Comments

• RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd wait to hear back from ISC2. If it is indeed an error on their email, I can't see them not making it right by allowing you to take the exam on an alternate date or by refunding your money. Did you receive the email reminders at the correct intervals? 21, 7, and 3 days out?
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I see you mention you're an international student (presumably in the US right now). Could it have been a simple mix-up about the date? The USA likes to be different in many things (degrees in F, distance in inches, feet, etc) and they use the date format MM/DD/YY, while much of the rest of the world follows the European format DD/MM/YY (why can't we all just use ISO-8601 and be done with it!).

As such 06/07/08 in the US would be June 7, 2008

In most of the rest of the world it would be July 6, 2008

I really hope the ISC2 wasn't so ambiguous in their email, but I could see it happening. Just a thought...
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I thought about that too. However, he said he went to take it today, so I don't think such a thing would be possible with a date like 7/7 ;)
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    I thought about that too. However, he said he went to take it today, so I don't think such a thing would be possible with a date like 7/7 ;)
    You're right, I read right through the today in "i was supposed to take the exam today, yesterday"... icon_redface.gif
  • SoulreaverSoulreaver Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    heh thx for the replies, the date was written as "July 7th 2008"
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Definitely work with ISC2. They'll make it right some way or another.

Did they send you the reminder messages via email?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The thing that probably sucks the most is that they only offer the exams in many areas a few times per year.
  • SoulreaverSoulreaver Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    RTmarc wrote:
    Definitely work with ISC2. They'll make it right some way or another.

Did they send you the reminder messages via email?

all i got was that one message about the exam, all the other isc2 emails were about classes for sscp/cissp listing each state and location around the U.S