How to make IE7 security SHUT UP!!!

Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
I run IE7..I am not allowed to run Mozilla so please don't just tell me to do that if you don't know.....

I made a change to the security settings, allowing signed ActiveX controls to run. Every 5 seconds, or when I refresh the browser window, I get that stupid information bar telling me my machine is at risk!! It's not at risk, I'm sitting behind a rather large corporations firewall, and these are signed controls, not crappy malware...is there anyway, or better asked...how do I stop the information bar from telling me what it thinks....I get other messages, but hese are the latest and most annoying............thx
i remain, he who remains to be....

Comments

• draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/ie/ieak/techinfo/deploy/60/en/secopt.mspx?mfr=true

Check the section: Download signed ActiveX controls.

Hope that helps.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • denlp007denlp007 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    open internet explorer
    click on tools
    click on internet options
    click on advanced
    click on restore defaults
    or click on reset
    hope it works ................. :D
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Ricka182 wrote:
    I run IE7..I am not allowed to run Mozilla so please don't just tell me to do that if you don't know.....

I made a change to the security settings, allowing signed ActiveX controls to run. Every 5 seconds, or when I refresh the browser window, I get that stupid information bar telling me my machine is at risk!! It's not at risk, I'm sitting behind a rather large corporations firewall, and these are signed controls, not crappy malware...is there anyway, or better asked...how do I stop the information bar from telling me what it thinks....I get other messages, but hese are the latest and most annoying............thx

That "rather large corporations firewall" wont protect you from alot of the nasty stuff on the internet.

Why arent the scripts managed via software restriction policies in GP? Hash rules, certificate rules, path rules and Internet zone rules are all much better setups than putting the burdon of determine what software is legitimate on the shoulders of the end user.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Ricka182 wrote:

You do realize that sitting behind a rather large corporation's firewall does not guarantee your safety running even signed ActiveX controls, right?
    Good luck to all!
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    So I was told before I left work, I can't find the setting because it's been removed. I asked if they did it with GP, and they said no, it was with some other 3rd party piece......I don't believe him because I had IE6 and upped it to 7 myself when I started there, not to mention I've never heard of such a thing.......as for the safety issue, I also should have mentioned everything online is through a proxy server room in another state...nothing hits my building without going through their security, and then again at our end. Maybe I overestimate, and I'm sure it's not perfect, but there's never been a virus or related issue in the past 6 years....
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Ricka182 wrote:
    So I was told before I left work, I can't find the setting because it's been removed. I asked if they did it with GP, and they said no, it was with some other 3rd party piece......I don't believe him because I had IE6 and upped it to 7 myself when I started there, not to mention I've never heard of such a thing.......as for the safety issue, I also should have mentioned everything online is through a proxy server room in another state...nothing hits my building without going through their security, and then again at our end. Maybe I overestimate, and I'm sure it's not perfect, but there's never been a virus or related issue in the past 6 years....

Well you are the end user not the admin so that explains why you cant set it up like i suggested. This also stregthens my point about not putting that burdon on the end-users shoulders. I dont know why they couldnt have restictions on IE without having any restrictions preventing you from updating to the newest version. Seems logical to me that if i were restricting parts of IE i might still want to allow you to upgrade to the newer more secure versions of the software.

I dont know your setup so i cant really comment on the "proxy in another state" but i do know that just because your content goes through a proxy and a "big corporate firewall" doesnt mean that it is immune to compromise. Those proxy servers will not always stop all the malicous software so there is still reason to be weary. However i do find it hard to believe any location that has end users with access to the internet has not had some type of malware infection in 6 years time. We have a big corporate firewall and proxies like you suggested. But you also have to realize that threats come in from laptops used at home and emplyee use of removable media.

Im sorry that ive sort of swayed from your original post, if you are still having the annoying popups im sure we can sort it out for you.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Thanks for the suggestions to all.....I guess I was just more pissed that I, someone who is supposed to have some admin privledges working in IT here, was unable to fix my own problem. I know all the so called security we have probably isn't enough, and maybe it is phony about 6 years of no malware type issues...I don't know, I'm just a contractor here for 6 months, maybe more......
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Use Mozilla Firefox. icon_lol.gif
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680