Options

Management Role versus standard Engineer role

RikkuRikku Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey There,

I have been in the middle of an IT job search as a Systems Admin/Engineer (Wintel) for a few months after leaving my last job.

I am starting to entertain the idea of possibly obtaining an IT Management role for managing an IT group or IT support services group.

I do not have a lot of previous managment experience, but have been in the industry for a good 10 years and worked in various support environments (large and small), which I feel have given me the experience to support a management position.

Should I even bother to entertain this search if I do not possess a considerable amount of previous management and supervisory experience?

-Rikku

Comments

• Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Based on the degrees that you list I would say that should count for something.

I've seen management with less credentials/experience than you've mentioned. I recommend highlighting events on your resume where you demonstrated leadership and achieved some result (whether you had direct management authority or not).

MS
  • Options
    Thanks for the input EMes.

I think the same. So, I am putting myself "out there" for some management positions as well.

By the way, I noticed your "ISO/IEC 20000 Consultant" entry. I did read online a bit about the certification scheme http://www.isoiec20000certification.com/about/whatis.asp and it seems quite in-depth. I was wondering what the training/certification was like that you went through and if you can elaborate at all on what kind of engineers would benifit from this cert...if you have a moment.

Thanks again.

-Rikku
  • Options
    TryPingingTheServerTryPingingTheServer Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Getting involved with a start-up would be a great way for you to harness your experience and move into management. However, there's a good chance you'll have fewer benefits, longer hours, more BS, etc. No problem with trying, though. Let us know the results of your search!
    "His GPA is a solid 2.0. Right in that meaty part of the curve - not showing off, not falling behind."
  • Options
    Getting involved with a start-up would be a great way for you to harness your experience and move into management. However, there's a good chance you'll have fewer benefits, longer hours, more BS, etc. No problem with trying, though. Let us know the results of your search!

I love the nick...goes along the line of "is your computer plugged in?"

Thanks for the input. I will let you know if a mgmt position turns up. I will let the recruiters I am working with sell me to thier clients..all I need is a foot in the door for an interview. The only downside to working in mgmt, is I will have to focus on the mgmt side and less on the tech skill side. I will have to keep my tech skills up by studying at home or with bootcamp/classes. It was the same issue for my boss from two jobs ago, and that was the only thing he regreted about being a manager.

-Rikku