Options

Please help me decide which cert I should get next...

ibex333ibex333 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I recently got my A+ Cert, and I want to get more. This time I want to get something that is in very high demand, something that by itself can get me some job interviews. That being said, I am well aware that getting a job is never easy or guaranteed with any cert or college degree.

I am pretty clueless, so any advice/help is welcome. My ultimate goal is to obtain an entry level job in the IT field. I don't really care if I'll be dealing with networks, software, or hardware - it is all interesting to me.

Oh, and one more little detail... I am only interested in certs that I can study for in my spare time, at home, reading from books as I did with my A+. Taking any sort of classes is not an option at the moment.

Comments

• Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Either do Windows XP 70-270 or Vista 70-620 to get MCP or MCTS. Get Network+ to get, well.... to get Network+.

I think most would recommend Network+ as it goes well with A+ and would add up to an elective for MCSA.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    ibex333 wrote:
    I am only interested in certs that I can study for in my spare time, at home, reading from books as I did with my A+. Taking any sort of classes is not an option at the moment.
    MCDST or MCITP:EST sounds like it would best suit your situation. I did the DST first and have the upgrade test this weekend. As far as bang for the buck or ROI, 3 tests for 4 certifications is pretty good. If you did tests 271, 272, and 621...that would give you MCDST, MCP, MCTS:Vista, and MCITP:EST. Not because they are easy, but because there arent many major concepts to wrap your brain around...its not what I would consider a "rabbit hole" test... a little matrix reference there for you. Just dont make the mistake of thinking they're easy when you're prepping, you can read the boards of ppl that fail.

Unless you're already pretty slick with networking concepts, I wouldnt attempt N+ in your spare time. That test was a ... uhhh....well you know.

PS - if you do the DST/MCITP upgrade test, it also counts as 620, so if you want to do something like MCSA or MCITP:SA, it would count for that.
  • Options
    Jaqmar2001Jaqmar2001 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Try the following (in sequence maybe)...

MCDST / 70-271, 70-272
    MCSE (Windows XP) / 70-270
    Network+ / N10-003
    CCNA / 640-802
    MCSA / 70-290, 70-291
    MCSE / 70-293, 70-294

Hope this helps.

Martin.
    Martin.
    UK
  • Options
    AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
    i say for network + or 70-270 xp or 70-620 vista
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For entry level i would go for these:

A+, net+, MCP 270 / MCDST, then upto MCSA. Just remember A+, net+ dont count towards MCSE.

mcsa is tecnically not an entry level cert but alot of employers like that kind of knowledge for those positions. For some reason the mcsa doesnt get alot of recognition once you start moving up - even if you go for a sys admin they require mcse.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm going to vote for 271, 272, and 621. That'll get you MCDST and MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician. Supplementing those with vendor neutral certs like A+ and Network+ will round you out a little more.
  • Options
    ibex333ibex333 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanx for your help everyone.
    Originally I was planning to get Network+, then CCNA, and then consider the Microsoft certs, but it looks like a lot of people are recommending to get them in the beginning. The thing is, I’d like to go straight for CCNA after the Network+, because it is the same field, and I figured it would be a nice transition.
    So do you guys think I could do that, or getting the Microsoft certs FIRST is still a better path as far as getting a job goes?
  • Options
    roswaldroswald Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd say go for the Network+ and see what you think. If you like the networking side of things pursue your CCNA to learn more about switch/router configs and networking concepts.

If you prefer server type network administration and configuration, go after your Microsoft certs. Either way, the network+ is a great entry level cert and it will help you determine your future goals. Should you decide networking isn't your favorite aspect of IT, it can be counted toward your elective for MCSA when combined with your A+ as others have mentioned.

I think the reasoning for going straight to a Microsoft cert from A+ is that some of them are pretty easy when compared to CCNA or even Network+. You could go after a single MS cert to get your MCP, then go after the network+ too.

All of the above suggestions are good, and would make sense for obtaining an entry level position. It's up to you to figure out what your future interests are going to be and choose a path.
  • Options
    vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dude, forget what these guys are telling you. You should go straight for your CCIE.

Naw, I'm kidding. I think going for the 70-270 (XP) is best. It gets you a second cert (good resume dressing) and certifies you as an authority with an OS that is damned near everywhere. I'd then look to decide between Net+ or furthering your MCSA track.

IMO, I think the 270 MCP cert, and the skills it certifies, is a little bit more marketable than Net+ for entry level stuff. I think the 270, plus the A+, touches enough on networking basics and its troubleshooting, to get you by the entry level interview, and most scenarios you'd face on the job. In terms of marketability, I think an MCP is more familiar/popular to recruiters as it seems to be mentioned in more job searches.

Keep in mind the A+ combined with the 70-270, should, on a very basic level, expose you to networking protocols, the theoretical seven networking layers, troubleshooting tools (ping, tracert, pathping, ipconfig, etc.), Active Directory, and other client/server OS's. You won't get any great detail, but you'll be familiar with what these are, and you should be able to speak intelligently on them. Plus you'll be very familiar with the physical make up of a PC, and the dominant OS found on PCs. That should be enough to get your foot in the door with your interviews, and on your way to great future success as an architect. Heck, I'll probably end up working for you someday soon.
    Certified Lunatic.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow. I think this thread has confused him more than it's helped him. I'm going to change my recommendation to ExoticDancer++
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yea every since I received my MCP for my 70-270 I've gotten a lot more respect certification wise from people. Even though it's the lowest one on the totem pool when people hear that I'm a MCP their ears shoot straight up! It's sad when I mention that I'm working on my MCSA, they have no clue what I'm talking about and they think I'm confusing it with the MCSE icon_sad.gif
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah. It's like MCSA is the proverbial redheaded step child (No intent to harm any actual redheaded stepchildren is meant, either actual or implied). It's just a small oasis in the middle of the desert between MCP and MCSE.
    Certified Lunatic.
  • Options
    RickQRickQ Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't have a lot to add except to say that it was pointed out to me recently that A+ and N+ can be put together to form one of the electives for MCSA. So getting your N+ serves two purposes.

Just my $.02
    Working on: Security+
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Busy thread for a "what next" post...

A+ feeds well right into the Microsoft certs, you'll also find work with Microsoft stuff easier to find than Cisco or Linux. (no comments)

Right now, there is great debate on how Microsoft's 2008 certs are going help you in. But everyone agrees the 2003 line up of certs will be valuable for years to come. So depending on the time it takes you, should have your sights set on the MCSE. The problem is, the Microsoft texts simply are not as good as the Cisco ones on basic networking concepts.

So you might want to get your CCENT then start in on your MCSE. While you work on those, switch your home PC to Linux so you can start getting exposure. Final answer.
    -Daniel