Options

How long did U prepare for 1st CCIE R&S Lab after CCNP??

danlai2004danlai2004 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Dear list,
lets do a research on the following.

1. how long did it took you to have your your CCIE written exam after your CCNP ?

2. how long did it takes for you to have your 1st try on your CCIE Lab Exam after
passing your written exam ?

3. how many lab exam attempts did it took you to pass the CCIE Lab exam ?

4. which vendor's Lab Workbook did you use during your preparation ? IE ? Netmaster ? IPExpert, Narbik...etc

5. if you have been using a couple of vendor's lab workbook, which lab workbook did you think is better ?

Comments

• Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Very valid questions. It all comes down to how much time and dedication you have, really. I finished the CCNP a few months ago and I could probably sit the written now but I'm nowhere near prepared for the lab and I don't think I'll have the time to dedicate to it within the next 18 months so I'm putting it off and taking the scenic route.

Many people nail the written anywhere from 2 to 12 months after the CCNP and sit the lab anywhere from 6-18 months after. I'd say that it also comes down to experience. If you're a seasoned engineer you will need less preparation than someone who is relatively green in the industry.

On one end of the spectrum you're looking at CCNP - > 3 months - > CCIE Written -> 9 months -> CCIE Lab first attempt -> ? who knows ? second attempt

Whenever people don't pass (notice I didn't say fail - fail implies quitting) the CCIE lab they generally spend more time making sure they're better prepared.

The other end of the spectrum is really hard to define and can be anywhere from months to years. A former co worker of mine completed the CCNP in 2001 and was just prepping for the CCIE written in February of 2008.

As far as prep material, it's really a tossup. You'll find people who vouch for all of the vendors which you've mentioned. I've read the IE, IPExpert, and Narbik's stuff and I found Narbik's material to be the most thorough. IE and IPExpert have good stuff though. If they didn't they wouldn't be in business. I wouldn't use a single source for prep though. Like any other exam, having multiple sources generally improves chances.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I think Paul is spot on. Obviously everyone will be different, but overall I think those are fair timelines.

I would think if you are serious, you should go right into studies for the lab/written after CCNP. There is a LOT of carry over, so why not keep going ;) Just have to be careful not to burn out, which is a task in itself.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    danlai2004 wrote:
    Dear list,
    lets do a research on the following.

1. how long did it took you to have your your CCIE written exam after your CCNP ?

2. how long did it takes for you to have your 1st try on your CCIE Lab Exam after
    passing your written exam ?

3. how many lab exam attempts did it took you to pass the CCIE Lab exam ?

4. which vendor's Lab Workbook did you use during your preparation ? IE ? Netmaster ? IPExpert, Narbik...etc

5. if you have been using a couple of vendor's lab workbook, which lab workbook did you think is better ?

I complete the CCNP in June 2001 and had the CCIE written done in November 2001. I then set about practical preparations in 2002 using Hutnik and Saterlee and Caslow with a few routers at home and did exercises in the evening. Then I relocated and found myself spending a lot of time travelling with little opportunity to sit at a terminal on a regular basis after work was done. I was up at 6am and rolling in home after 9pm most days. So instead I was pretty restricted to studying a vendor workbook through 2003 on the train or in the hotel room when I was away contracting. I found the demands of the job I had plus the commuting rendered it impossible to put in the necessary hands-on practice to prepare for the lab exam.

Had things been different and I could have spent the majority of most evenings prepping I think I would have been clear by the end of 2003. But with my commitments at work and the time away from home this wasn't practical at all. Now things are more settled I have been back at it for about 18 months in a patient but regular manner.

Getting the balance right at home and at work is critical to success with the IE. You need lots of opportunity and energy to study for a long period of time without it impacting adversely on your professional or personal life.