vista 64 bit install

2»

Comments

• aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ok just finished with the RAM, all the sticks passed, so it's not them :D

motherboard? CPU? both? icon_evil.gif
    What's another word for Thesaurus?
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    So it currently passes with each stick tested in each slot? But if you put in more than one stick or all sticks then it all crashes down?
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    undomiel wrote:
    So it currently passes with each stick tested in each slot? But if you put in more than one stick or all sticks then it all crashes down?

I just checked all the sticks in slot 0, I should just be able to try one stick in the other slots, yes, seeming there all working in slot 0,

i'm gonna be here for a couple days otherwise
    You need to test every slot to find out if it is a motherboard problem or not.
    undomiel wrote:
    You need to test every slot to find out if it is a motherboard problem or not.

yeah, but with one stick not all sticks in each slot, right, otherwise that's 16 combos
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Heh, my brother had this same problem...

The fix was to install the OS with 1 stick of 2GB memory... After the completion finished make sure to run the latest updates. I think the Servicepack fixed this issue. Then put in the 2nd stick of the 2GB of memory and see if it recognizes it without crashing.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

I have a the 32bit version of Vista and it Recognizes my 3GB of memory just fine. It should max out at 3.5GB of memory for the 32bit version.

Again, its a vista problem, not your hardware.
    TechJunky wrote:
    Heh, my brother had this same problem...

The fix was to install the OS with 1 stick of 2GB memory... After the completion finished make sure to run the latest updates. I think the Servicepack fixed this issue. Then put in the 2nd stick of the 2GB of memory and see if it recognizes it without crashing.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

I have a the 32bit version of Vista and it Recognizes my 3GB of memory just fine. It should max out at 3.5GB of memory for the 32bit version.

Again, its a vista problem, not your hardware.

I tried this, and it installed with the one stick but then crashes if I try to add any more
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Hmm, he said it was defiantly a hot fix that fixed the problem. He had to install with 2GB for sure and then add the 4GB after all hotfixes.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That might have been his problem, but if memtest is coming up with errors, it's bad hardware.
    icon_eek.gif this is shocking but i'll own up since you guys have been such a big help, I assumed that SP1 was part of the live updates as I read somewhere it was after a certain date,

anyway installed the stand alone SP1 put all 8GB in and i'm sat here feeling glade it's all over, for now :D

thanks again guys, i'll put all this down to experience and hey I got the ultimate boot CD out of all my pain icon_redface.gif
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I thought you said memtest gave you errors? If so, you should isolate the bad stick(s) and return them for good ones. You probably just got lucky and haven't hit the bad sections yet. Memtest is OS independent, so install service packs isn't going to change those results.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    icon_eek.gif this is shocking but i'll own up since you guys have been such a big help, I assumed that SP1 was part of the live updates as I read somewhere it was after a certain date,
    SP1 is part of Windows Update and it should offer it to you once you've got the right prereq patches in.
    dynamik wrote:
    I thought you said memtest gave you errors? If so, you should isolate the bad stick(s) and return them for good ones. You probably just got lucky and haven't hit the bad sections yet. Memtest is OS independent, so install service packs isn't going to change those results.

memtest crashed on me when I had all sticks installled but I did them one at a time and no errors where found
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    dynamik wrote:

memtest crashed on me when I had all sticks installled but I did them one at a time and no errors where found
    It shouldn't crash at all. There is something wrong with your motherboard or RAM if you can't fit all your RAM without it causing errors.
    tiersten wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

It shouldn't crash at all. There is something wrong with your motherboard or RAM if you can't fit all your RAM without it causing errors.

i'll do another couple of tests, it was a program crash rather that a found error though
    Generally if a program crashes that means an error was found.
    ok it went through the memtest with all 8GB in and no errors found, I also found a setting in the bios to change the cpu multipiler to x9 and the post is showing the full 2.4ghz 4 cpus, so that's all the problems solved I think :D