Certification Podcasts?

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
All,

I am considering rolling out a video podcast on IT certification, instructional oriented. Sharing what I've learned in the last couple of years and running tutorials. Other than www.itidiots.com which is not very "cert" oriented I can't find anything all that quality.

Anyone know of any? I don't want to reinvent too many wheels.
-Daniel

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's the closet thing I can think of. You could probably use Train Signal, CBT Nuggets, etc. as a model for presentation tips, etc. as well.

How are you planning on doing a video podcast, logistically speaking?

This thread came to mind when I saw yours: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=228623
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well, I'll snag some web space from www.godaddy.com and slap Wordpress on there, that's the easy part.

I'm looking to do a weekly technical vid-podcast following along the path of someone who might just be entering IT. I'd like put that out as a resource that is a more podcast-like version of CBTNuggets or www.vtc.com. More friendly and laid back. I am not looking to make it professional, but certainly more focused on certification than the guys over at www.itidiots.com.

Right now, I am analyzing the 70-620 track as a baseline. I was really hoping to find a few things to compare my thoughts against.
    -Daniel
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Funny you say that... I was just in the works of adding a few myself.

I only have 3 vids currently because I dont want to reinvent the wheel myself either.

It would be nice to have people suggest what they would like to see and then create a tutorial on it.
    I hate GoDaddy. Go with www.hostmonster.com if you want economy hosting. Fantastico makes all that open-source installation a breeze (not that it was really hard to being with, but it's definitely easier to manage).

How are you expecting to finance it though? All that bandwidth is going to be expensive.
    Exactly why I come to this message board, always helpful information.

I'll check hostmaster out. The guys at Linux action show recommended godaddy.com, but I'll check them both out for sure. I used to use brinkster.com but their transfer limits are horrible.

I am doubting I'll get much traffic. But my first few attempts were about 50megs in size. Assume I bump that to 100megs for easy math, and get 20 podcasts done this year. 2gig of data, that would mean I get about 700 users being able to download everything without bandwidth issues on 1,500 GB Transfer for, $10 a month?

That math make since? Or am I way off.
    -Daniel
    I think pretty much any hosting provider will kill your account if you're consistently hitting that number. Those numbers are greatly inflated. They probably have some note in the fine print that says you get one month at that amount, just so they can advertise it.

I'd use CacheFly's numbers as a better gauge for what it's going to cost you: http://cachefly.com/plans.html

CacheFly hosts a lot of big name audio and video podcasts, and you'll probably go that route as soon as you get a decent audience.
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    There will be a HUGE market for this if it is done right, maybe audio would be the way to go due to bandwidth issues... atleast until you have an established user/customer base.

I understand the PMP is not strictly IT, but I found this podcast http://www.thepmpodcast.com/ when I got my PMP (I did not subscribe, nor am I affiliated... I just tried the samples). I think he has been really successful because the market is not flooded yet.

I have a long commute and I would subscribe to a worthy certification podcast.

Go for it man! It could be your million dollar idea.
    Well, still need to get the bandwidth thing figured out and a few more demo videos. Clearly I don't want to spend the cash until I have a few things ready to do.

Audio, maybe some. But video is pretty important to learning how to do things on computers I think. Anymore thoughts?
    -Daniel
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    dynamik wrote:
    I hate GoDaddy. Go with www.hostmonster.com if you want economy hosting. Fantastico makes all that open-source installation a breeze (not that it was really hard to being with, but it's definitely easier to manage).

How are you expecting to finance it though? All that bandwidth is going to be expensive.

I generally use godaddy for domain registration and hostmonster for hosting. I really havent had any problems and the few times ive created a trouble ticket they were very prompt. I just need to find a reputable windows based hosting service and im set. I occasionally run into clients that need vb.net hosting and i have yet to find a good host for that platform.
    I would let ya have some web space on my virtual server if ya wanted...
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    I listen to a LOT of tech podcasts, and there is almost no regular talk about IT certification. The PaulDotCom security podcast occasionally talks about the CISSP cert and what it means to the InfoSec industry, but not much else about certs. A podcast that not only has talk about cert exam preparation, but whose host(s) also talk about the exam experience, test prep materials, cert news, etc. would definitely be hitting a podcast niche that's not yet been filled. I'm surprised that certmag.com hasn't given podcasting a try.
    First off thanks TechJunky, I might take you up on that. What kind of limits are we talking about?

I started working on a 70-620 vblog at http://kahn.blip.tv/ it's coming along okay, getting my feet wet, that is for sure. I made a few hours worth of videos and uploaded them.

I am hoping to give it the "hosted" video podcast feel soon enough. I got a couple of friends who are interested in earning their A+ or CCENT, so I might start officially with that after I get the solo-Vista one done.
    -Daniel
  • downloaddandownloaddan Inactive Imported Users Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice find, I'll certainly bookmark that one. But focus on certification and the education process is the angle I am looking for.
    -Daniel
  • goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    Let me know when you have it up. I want to sign up. i have been looking everywhere for one. Back when I was studying for Security+, I listened to SecurityNow. I still listen to it because it keeps me up to date on security but there is virtually no certification information on it at all. I think a podcast would be an awesome study tool
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
    Well, the concept videos are up on that site. Alright had 40 hits today!

But when I get it really moving, I'll certainly post again.
    -Daniel
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    I would suggest that you visually brand each video using the desktop wallpaper. When I look at the Flash video I don't see where it's from, what it's for, or who you are.

You might also see if you can promote your site through the academy. They have a lot of vendor training videos on there and maybe you can become an affiliate.
    Daniel333: I get 100GB of bandwidth a month.. Not an insane amount, but more than enough for what I am using it for currently. The huge limiting factor right now is disk space with my current plan. Luckily its a Virtual server so I can add disk space on the fly without having to reconfigure my server, but its more expensive. I think I have maybe 1.5GB of disk space free I could donate.