Anyone experience this problem on their home router?

Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
Have a NetGear VPN Router. This morning I couldn't get online. Went down to my "network closet" and checked out the modem. Seemed fine. Ran an ipconfig /all on my machine and it said this:

Default gateway: 0.0.0.0

What is up with the 0.0.0.0????

Just restarded the router and rebooted. Everything seemed fine then.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is this a consumer-grade router? I occasionally have to power cycle my router and/or cable modem from time to time when they stop working.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it's happening frequently.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If it does happen a lot you may want to update the firmware in the router. Actually you may want to do that anyway if there is an update available.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    sthomas wrote:
    If it does happen a lot you may want to update the firmware in the router. Actually you may want to do that anyway if there is an update available.

+1 for this. Occasionally mine will do the same. Consumer grade != best quality.
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    sthomas wrote:

+2

You get what you pay for. It's common to have to do that with cheap toys. So I wouldn't worry to much if it's only once a month or so
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    You can try an alternative firmware as well. dd-wrt or openwrt have done wonders for increasing the stability of my home router. It has been a whole lot better than the standard Linksys or Buffalo firmwares.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    +1 to firmware, I had an Netgear at one point that kept doing this till FW was updated and all was fine after.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    sthomas wrote:

+2

You get what you pay for. It's common to have to do that with cheap toys. So I wouldn't worry to much if it's only once a month or so

I paid $130 for that VPN Router! Not like this has happened before however. First time within 3 months or so. At least it doesn't seem to be happening every week or month.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    I paid $130 for that VPN Router! Not like this has happened before however. First time within 3 months or so. At least it doesn't seem to be happening every week or month.
    What NetAdmin2436 means is that it's not a business or enterprise-grade router, (which would set you back anywhere from $800 - $5,000,) and you can't expect business-level uptime and performance out of it. If it's a bug in the operating system, upgrade the firmware. If it's something that begins to happen more and more, I'd contact Netgear and find out if this is a known issue, and if there is the possibility of getting a replacement. If it continues to happen every few months, it'll be something to accept as part of life and just keep powercycling the router. As for why it happens. . . hard to say, but contacting Netgear would be the best way to go if you're curious to find out.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Slowhand wrote:
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    What NetAdmin2436 means is that it's not a business or enterprise-grade router, (which would set you back anywhere from $800 - $5,000,) and you can't expect business-level uptime and performance out of it. If it's a bug in the operating system, upgrade the firmware. If it's something that begins to happen more and more, I'd contact Netgear and find out if this is a known issue, and if there is the possibility of getting a replacement. If it continues to happen every few months, it'll be something to accept as part of life and just keep powercycling the router. As for why it happens. . . hard to say, but contacting Netgear would be the best way to go if you're curious to find out.

Excatly!

Mmartin, I hope you didn't take my comments the wrong way. I have a rather cheap DSL modem at my house too which I have to power cycle it ever few months. it's worth under 100 bucks or so. The Watchguard X500 firewall/router we have at my company i think I've only had to reboot 1 time in 3 years. The Watchguard was about 3k upfront and about 500 a year for maintance (software updates, virus updates, web blocker updates, IPS, ect...). So that is what i'm talking about in regards to 'you get what you pay for'. I know you (and I) can't afford a 3k firewall at our home, so I'm not knocking you. We have to live with what we got and can afford. Check for firmware upgrades, and if it get's worse contact NetGear.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sthomas wrote:

+1 Sthomas what are you using for studying CCNA?
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jbaello wrote:
    sthomas wrote:

I am using the Todd Lammle book, The Wendell Odom book, packet tracer, GNS3/dynamips, and a couple of 2600 series routers and 2950 switches I am using from work.

I actually might take the CCENT first since for me it seems there are a lot of topics in the CCNA just for one exam.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    sthomas wrote:
    jbaello wrote:
    sthomas wrote:

I am using the Todd Lammle book, The Wendell Odom book, packet tracer, GNS3/dynamips, and a couple of 2600 series routers and 2950 switches I am using from work.

I actually might take the CCENT first since for me it seems there are a lot of topics in the CCNA just for one exam.

Yea there is thats why when i took the previous version's I split them up...
  • vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Count yourselves lucky. I have a Linksys router that I have to power cycle weekly. Sometimes twice a week. Annoying, but it still works, so I'm not getting a new one just yet.
    Certified Lunatic.
  • averyjasaveryjas Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a Linksys router at home and have only had one issue where it started slowing down considerably one day. An update to the firmware and power cycle did the trick. As others have said, the firmware is usually the culprit when this stuff happens.
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Slowhand wrote:
    Mmartin_47 wrote:

Woops, didn't know you were comparing to enterprise routers! My fault there.