Options

Big Corporation, looking to advance financially...

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
Ok, so I took a position for a big corporation and in the job requirements it states the following..

o Must have completed Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) training and tests successfully or be working towards completion.

o Certification in one or more of the following areas of expertise or progress towards achieving certification: VMWare, Microsoft SharePoint, Citrix, Oracle, SQL, Web Development.

I currently dont have a MCSE, and I am working on my MCSA, I also dont have a Microsoft SQL certification, but I do have a Vendor Specific SQL Certification that covers SQL 2000 and SQL 2005. I would assume they decided this was a substitute for the second clause. Now my question is....

Since I dont have my MCSE do you think the company will require this before I will get a substantial raise? I plan on getting my MCSA by the end of this month, but 2 more tests for the MCSE just seems far away. I was planning on getting my CCNA after my MCSA instead since some of the other job duties require a lot of subnetting/network design monitoring experience etc..

What should I do?

My goal was to obtain my MCSA and then obtain the VMware cert by the end of this year.

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just ask your new manager what he/she wants. They're the one rating you during performance reports so their opinion is probably all that matters. I've worked in large companies and job performance is where you're going to stand out, not certifications.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Agree.

Every company and every manager is going to be different. Just ask up front which one would be most beneficial to the company and to your next performance evaluation.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...