Options

One trigger don't work (DNS dynamic updates)...

rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
Hello techies,

from a well known book:
The following events trigger the DHCP Client service to
send a dynamic update to the DNS server:

- An IP address is added, removed, or modified in the Transmission Control Protocol/
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) properties configuration for any one of the local
computer’s installed network connections.
Have You noticed that any of these actions does not produce any changes on the DNS server?

When I do any of these in fact nothing happens on the DNS server, but if I restart the PC, for example, then the records are added/updated (then I assume dynamic updates are well configured both on client and server side).

rj
Pork 3
Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    rjbarlow wrote:
    Hello techies,

from a well known book:
    The following events trigger the DHCP Client service to
    send a dynamic update to the DNS server:

- An IP address is added, removed, or modified in the Transmission Control Protocol/
    Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) properties configuration for any one of the local
    computer’s installed network connections.
    Have You noticed that any of these actions does not produce any changes on the DNS server?

When I do any of these in fact nothing happens on the DNS server, but if I restart the PC, for example, then the records are added/updated (then I assume dynamic updates are well configured both on client and server side).

rj

Nope never noticed. Might have to try that sometime. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    DragonNOA1DragonNOA1 Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think it is one of those what happens in the real world vs what M$ wants you to think happens (for a test).
    The command line, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would only expect that to occur for non-Windows 2000 and later clients. For Windows 2000 and later the DHCP server allows the client to send its own updates, by default (you can change it) it only sends updates to the DNS server for clients that don't support dynamic updates (NT4, Win98, etc).
  • Options
    rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
    DragonNOA1 wrote:
    I think it is one of those what happens in the real world vs what M$ wants you to think happens (for a test).
    Yes! And I ask myself what I have to answer if happens to encounter a question about that on the exam. icon_confused.gif
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.