Options

What's the average rate for travel reimbursment?

scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am trying to figure out if a company is trying to screw me which I think they are.

First I was told I would have my travel reimbursed. Got the contract today and there is no provision for that. Sent an email back to the asking what was up with that and they told me to just add an extra hour onto the time I worked, which I do not really feel comfortable doing. So I was curious what the average reimbursement rate is per mile. I remember a long time ago it was I think .08 cents per mile, but gas has gone up quite a bit since then.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comments

• Options
    sprinkl3ssprinkl3s Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We get 48.5 cents per mile here.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    If you're doing contract work, can't you file for mileage on your taxes if they don't reimburse you? I believe it's 50.5 cents now.
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    I get 58.5 cents per mile plus my hourly wage on top of that
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yup, $0.585/mile is the IRS limit in the US. Here in my part of Canada, the CRA limit is $0.50/km.

Anything different than that I would complain about (unless its a company vehicle).
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    darkerosxx wrote:
    If you're doing contract work, can't you file for mileage on your taxes if they don't reimburse you? I believe it's 50.5 cents now.

I would look into what darkerosxx mentioned and keep all the receipt and record all the mileage with reasons for the trips. Can't hurt!!
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can claim it on your taxes, I claimed over 3,000 miles one year and it made a difference come tax time.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    You can also claim the difference between the federal rate and what your employer pays, too.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I had a very stingy ex employer, who only reimbursed 25 cents/mile (this was two years ago). Reason? Anything more was helping someone with their car payment.
  • Options
    ThackerThacker Member Posts: 170
    There's no law in most of the United States that they have to reimburse anything. I had a MSP pay me $25/week for unlimited use of my vehicle one time. What a joke.

My last employer paid the federal rate however. Keep track of everything to write off on your taxes even if they reimburse.
  • Options
    Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My current employer pays me my hourly rate from when I leave my house till I get back home. They even pay tolls I take related to work.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My current job has a company car, so not needed here.

The last place was $0.55/mile.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I believe they gave us $0.48 per mile. My fiance gets $0.55 per mile at her job.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    IRS says it is 57.5 cents for 2015.

State of Iowa reimburses 39 cents. Garbage!
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???