Options

New to this

lutz95lutz95 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone. I am currently taking the information tech. curriculum at my local institution. I am 33yrs old and this will be a career change for me(I am now in the tool and die field). At first glance, this all seems a bit much to take in. I am just taking Networking Basic presently, and it is a bit intimidating with all of the terms to remember, and lets not forget the OSI model. I have read some of the post on the forum and everyone seems very helpfull. I look forward to getting useful advice from everyone. I am hoping that when the information is applied it will be easier to remember.

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    It is a lot, and it never stops getting more. I think that's actually the best part ;). But when you start with pieces of this endless puzzle, they will eventualy fall into place. And don't let the amount of terms and jargon intimidate you, you will get the hang of it, it is usually just a matter of time and a continues effort.
    I am hoping that when the information is applied it will be easier to remember.
    That certainly goes for most people. Although some information will always be theory, it is essential to learn IT by doing. That, and a little imagination ;)

Good luck!
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Welcome aboard, lutz95! Enjoy the ride!

Most of us are also just trying to learn. I too am on a new IT career, so I understand what you say. But, you'll soon get over that(not!!). Every time you look in a different place(either text-wise, or hardware/software-wise) you see even a greater amount of material to digest, but at the same time you'll learn the answer to a question. So, it all balances out--just be patient.

Best of luck! And--have fun!!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You'd be surprised how much you can learn just by setting up a home lab or by helping friends out with various issues. Read it, do it, and read some more.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Good Luck! IT is just like a subject, like MATH. You have to start at the basics before you learn advanced information. Just like you have to learn to add/subtract before you multiply ,ect...IT comes pretty quick though. It seems like alot to learn, but once you learn a certain amount, you should get excited and full of confidence ands start learning real alot quick..Good Luck!
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    of the two certs i have taken (a+ and network+) the networking side of it has been the most interesting.
    A+ Moderator