Took the Corning Fiber course this week

learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
It was pretty good, especially w/ me knowing zero about fiber, aside from what i learned in network+/A+ studying. Good bit of hands on, a little bit too much about their proprietary products(kinda felt salesy at times but not too bad), it didn't bother me b/c I had no knowledge of fiber patch panels, types of splices, etc., and it was good to get a feel of the different equipment.

I made several splices (mechanical and fusion) and terminations (epoxy and unicam), along with building a complete system, creating a link budget, and calculating loss in the system you just made. Also learned how to use power meters and OTDRs. Took the CFOT (Certified Fiber Optics Technician) test at the end of the course (you have to ask for it), hopefully I pass and get the cert in about 6 weeks (who does 6 week turnarounds anymore, really?).

All in all a good class, but if you have experience w/ fiber termination and splicing already, I'd pass.

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    How long does it actually take to splice fiber? I remember 15 years ago hearing that a single splice of a glass fiber cable would require upwards of eight hours to complete successfully. Apparently there was lots of grinding, polishing, binding, and testing. I assume a splice or termination of standard fiber cable now takes about five minutes.
  • learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    You assume correctly. With a fusion splicer, it takes about 5 minutes, and is pretty cool to watch b/c the ones we used have microscopic video cameras that put the fibers on a screen. Once the machine cleans the ends and gets the fibers in place, this "supernova" lights up at the junction, and when it's done you have a finished splice. Don't forget to put the heat shrink on one end BEFORE you splice (doh)!

With a mechanical splicer it takes a little more time and a "touch". You have this mechanical splice in a stand, strip, clean, and cleave one fiber, stick it in, and then do the same for the other fiber. One of these ends is hooked up to an OTDR, and you can see how much loss you have at the splice. To minimize loss, you have to twist the fiber into a position that gives the least loss, then HOPE that you don't lose that reading when you lock the mechanical splice into place. It was reallly fun, actually.
    How much do the terminating connectors typically cost? If I screw-up a crimp on an RJ-45 I don't feel bad about cutting off a 7-cent connector and trying again. But what about a fiber connector? And are there inexpensive fiber tools and OTDR units so a hobbyist can get into playing with fiber?
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    there's no such thing as an inexpensive OTDR. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
    there's no such thing as an inexpensive OTDR. icon_cool.gif
    According to the OTDR FAQ, there are sub-$300US OTDR-like units, but their accuracy often is terrible (+/-10%). A proper OTDR will run you in the neighborhood of $10K. I can see why the typical computer hardware hobbyist doesn't have much fiber-related parts in his junkbox.
    JDMurray wrote:
    How much do the terminating connectors typically cost? If I screw-up a crimp on an RJ-45 I don't feel bad about cutting off a 7-cent connector and trying again. But what about a fiber connector? And are there inexpensive fiber tools and OTDR units so a hobbyist can get into playing with fiber?

The anaerobic connectors are about $8, i have no clue how much the cleaving tool is (probably around $1000), a fiber stripping tool is probably about $25, but the OTDR........ ah yes, the OTDR. Unfortunately, the poster above me is correct. OTDR's new are $25-$30k, depending on the options you get on it, so unless you're a hobbyist by the name of Bill Gates, that's sorta out. I did a quick ebay check and found an old one for $1200 by tectronix. As a former military calibration instructor, I can say that tectronix makes decent equipment, but can't vouch for their optical test equipment. However, there is another option.

Ok, I'm not associated w/ Corning in any way aside from going to their fiber class, first off. But, they have a kit that has a cleaver, installation tool, strippers, alcohol, etc. that will install SC, ST, and LC connectors on singlemode and multimode fiber using THEIR prepolished connectors(about $14-18, since they are prepolished they cost a bit more) for $1900. Their installation tool shines a light into your cable when you install the connector, and if it can "see" it on the end of the connector, you get a green light. If not, you get a red, and you have to try again(not difficult to get a green). It's a bit rudimentary, but you have to remember that this connector is pretty accurate compared to the older epoxy types where you have to finish the tip. These tips are pre-finished, so all you really have to do is be able to match up your fiber with the factory fiber inside the connector (via index matching gel, which makes life easy), to get a good termination. If you're only doing a few terminations, this is the cheapest way to go. I just went to one site to get a general idea of pricing, you may be able to find used for cheaper.
  • Vassago68Vassago68 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Learningtofly22,

you are right on about all of this. I took a fiber course here in Bagdad about 6 weeks ago. Although I was taught by the guy that is in charge of the entire fiber network in Iraq, he is a Verizon guy in the states, our class covered mostly Corning equipment since they are pretty much the standard in all things fiber. Other then 3M for the Hot Melt connectors. Epoxy is a pain in the butt imo. Even though its the cheapest method to do, it is by far one of the longest to do. Plus, who wants to mess around with a syringe full of glue?

If I was going to get any Fiber Installation Kit, it would be a Corning.
    I don't even want to know how much they're paying that Verizon guy as a "civvie" in Baghdad! I'm assuming you're in the military, as former Navy, thank you for your continued service!

Also, the glue is hazmat, and a real pain for me to get shipped overseas to Russia, where my project is going on.... we're stuck w/ glue on types for this run, but now that I've been to the class, I'll make sure never to do that again.... Corning Pretium unicams all the way!