Options

Setting up a DSL connection for Cisco router

frigid_heartfrigid_heart Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I just got my Cisco router 806 series and have learned all of my WAN and ACLs. However, I have been trying the whole day to setup up a scenario with the Cisco router for Internet use with no success. Other equipments I have are the DSL router provided by my ISP and a ordinary D-Link wireless router. The ISP router has 1 Internet port hooked to the wireless router and a phone line port hooked to the wall. My wireless router has 4 ethernet ports and 1 Internet port. My Cisco router has 1 WAN port and 4 LAN ports.

Now what I want is how to control the internet with this Cisco router and still be able to use access the Internet using wireless connection. If possible, I would be able to use my ACLs to establish my own firewall and testing environment.

Until now, I have tried so many ways including all the stuff I know for the CCNA but couldn't get it to work. Could someone show the commands, the documentation, and the ways to setup the this scenario.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    marlon23marlon23 Member Posts: 164 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

What about putting all devices together with some more recent Cisco 800 series routers. Like 877W, 878W or 857W?

As I understand your scenario it seems that you need to set up a NAT/PAT on Cisco router. Then ACL's wont actually come to play a lot as your Cisco box in not that one which is facing Internet.
    LAB: 7609-S, 7606-S, 10008, 2x 7301, 7204, 7201 + bunch of ISRs & CAT switches
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    plug your dsl into one ethernet port and your AP into another. have your dsl-modem connected interface set to pull an address via DHCP (ip address dhcp command under the interface) then assign a IP network to the interface connected to your AP. Statically assign an IP on the access point with the default gateway pointing to your cisco router's interface. You'll have to do PAT (NAT one to many) with your DHCP interface as the outside and the IP range assigned to your AP as an inside interface. This may or may not result in some funky double natting on AP but given the equipment it's hard to get around that. It shouldn't cause problems though, just issues port-forwarding to AP clients.

The best solution would be to hard wire your wired clients to a switch and trunk from the router to that switch. Put the AP in its own vlan. Plug the AP into the switch. This way most of your hosts (the wired ones) and any servers in your lab will go through good equipment and not get bottleknecked bt the cheap stuff. You can get more and more complex with this. :)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/