Website problem, any webmaster guru here?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I'm helping a friend with a website. The site is supposed to load "index.htm" by default. But what it does, it loads an older version of the "index.htm" unless you go and type www.mysite.com/index.htm. I even deleted index.htm, the site still brings up the old file. Tried on 2 PC's, cache, cookies deleted. It's the same problem. Also, tried ipconfig /flushdns.

So in other words, www.mysite.com/index. htm and www.mysite.com bring up two different pages. He called the hosting company and they told him it works on their side.
The web server is Linux enterprise.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you sure it's supposed to load index.htm and not index.html or something else? You can configure web servers with a list of files to try as the default file, so maybe there's another file that has higher precedence that's being loaded instead. What happens if you delete all the files?
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Thanks Dynamik. Guess what? I just used an anonomous proxy (http://www.httpsurf.com) and it loads the correct page! I suspected there my ISP cache server may be pulling the data and it was. It's a lazy ISP icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif

Strangely enough, I did delete "index.htm" and an hour later was presented with the Apache welcome page telling me I need to upload my file. But when I uploaded my index.htm, it still brings up an oder version of index.htm.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    Yes, your ISP is using a Web-page-caching transparent proxy server. The proxy will only hold the page for the expiration time specified in the HTML (a value of -1 indicates that no caching should be performed). Check if your ISP has a setting to disable use of the proxy for your account. If not, put the following meta tags in each of your page's header:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1">