Options

This Job Posting a Scam or Real?

win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
Has anybody heard of Remote Data Backups? Has anybody ever worked for them before? Are they legit or just a scam? Link to job description is below, anybody in the U.S can apply for this position btw, since its "remote" support.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/tch/717503186.html

Thanks,

win2k4

Comments

• Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Any job offer on Craigslist with a craigslist e-mail address (ie, job-717545186@craigslist.org) is normally crap. But they're companies that post contact information in the body of the ad too...
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    I just want to know if their real or a scam?

They do have a large amount of clients and some really popular ones too:
    http://wwww.remotedatabackups.com/clients/

Though they could be lying about their clients for all I know...

win2k4[/url]
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jryantech wrote:
    Any job offer on Craigslist with a craigslist e-mail address (ie, job-717545186@craigslist.org) is normally crap. But they're companies that post contact information in the body of the ad too...

I think that's just to obfuscate the poster's email address. There's no reason post your email address publicly and get on a bunch of spam lists. They link to their jobs section.

They seem legit. The domain has been registered for a decade like their business years at the bottom of their page state. I called the number out of curiosity and some guy picked up. Kind of odd for 9pm on a Saturday night (no phone system or anything). Maybe they have great customer service icon_lol.gif

I guess I'd proceed cautiously. There's no harm in contacting them, but I wouldn't just send of my SSN and other personal details if they ask for it. You're probably not going to be getting $75/hr either.

Edit: The software seems legit. No viruses or anything like that. They have a pretty impressive knowledge base too. That seems like a lot of work to scam a few people. They have a Verisign SSL cert too, so they've been verified to a small extent. They could have just swiped all that info from some other service provider though, so I'll stick with my previous advice of "proceed cautiously".
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    remember, when in doubt have dynamik check it out!! icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've been studying nearly the entire day. I was overjoyed to find something else to do icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    dynamik wrote:
    I've been studying nearly the entire day. I was overjoyed to find something else to do icon_lol.gif

I completely understand where your coming from on this, when your studying like that you welcome even a mundane distraction.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender