Options

Police question in QOS

MACattackMACattack Member Posts: 121
Hi just have a quick question. If I have available BW that is not being use and I have AF with police configured. Is it posible that the AF can use the avaiable BW even though the rule of policing is it can only use thw BW that is allocated to it.

Comments

• Options
    marlon23marlon23 Member Posts: 164 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Could you please be more specific ? I cannot understand clearly what are you trying to accomplish.
    LAB: 7609-S, 7606-S, 10008, 2x 7301, 7204, 7201 + bunch of ISRs & CAT switches
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you police traffic to a certain rate it will be policed. You should assign the remaining bandwidth to a queue that isn't being policed or use traffic shaping to permit traffic that conforms and sets exceeding traffic to the class-default class. In such a case you'll allow a specified amount of traffic to pass through the network at one QoS level then have excess traffic drop to the lowest level which is basically "may get there, may not."

Policing should only be done on traffic flows that are inconsequential at best. Generally this is where I'd put instant messenger traffic, etc. I generally police to a relatively small bandwidth as it is.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    MACattackMACattack Member Posts: 121
    marlon23,

sorry if I did not mentioned clearly what I am trying to accomplish.

What I mean is if I have a packet that is assigned for AF let say AF42 and I used policing on this que just to limit it. Now let say I have no congestion and lots and lots of BW available. Is the packet that is assign to AF21 with policing can use the available BW. Now I remember thta there is a conform and exceed that Paul Boz explained to me.

I can use traffic shaping instead of policing if I want to used some available BW.

Thanksss....