Options

Microsoft training kit - cannot believe commands are wrong

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
I just finished up my Server 2008 Core configuration notes and just remembered one page in the official Microsoft Self Paced Training Kit (MCITP SA).

Page 28, Exercise 2, Step 2

"Set the IPv4 address of the server by typing the following commands :

"netsh interface ipv4 set dns name="Local Area Connection" source=static address 10.0.0.11 primary"

Considering that I would rather use "netsh interface ipv4 show interfaces" to check which ID the interface has and use that instead of the name, it should be

"netsh interface ipv4 add dnsserver name="1" address=10.0.0.11 index=1" (where the first '1' is the index).

So 'dns' is plain wrong (and 'set' maybe too) and wouldn't work .. I can only imagine that the book is based on an earlier version of 2008 - but for a training book - pathetic ...

I actually stopped reading it from that point on so God knows what else is wrong ...
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's typical of all new tech books. Some are definitely worse than others, but you're not going to find a resource that is flawless. Just check the errata and keep plugging away. However, I think that having to do the research and figure out what's wrong with it really makes the material stick! Think of it as a little bonus ;)
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote:
    That's typical of all new tech books. Some are definitely worse than others, but you're not going to find a resource that is flawless. Just check the errata and keep plugging away. However, I think that having to do the research and figure out what's wrong with it really makes the material stick! Think of it as a little bonus ;)

Sure .. it makes it "stick" better :)

But for that kind of money its rather pathetic ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p