Options

Embarking on Sec+

brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
I really only have 2 tests left to take from my original plan starting last October, Sec+ and 291.

I already have study materials for both, and got about 1/2 way through 291 prep. My current job requires neither, so these are really just for vanity's sake.

291 would complete my MCSA, but its only going to be good for a couple of years, and I'll still want the Sec+ regardless...so im not sure I'll bother with the headache. Given the latter will never expire, Im pretty sure I want my next to be Sec+, goal is to test for it late Sept.

Any advice on how long to prepare if I have no previous exp. with most of the material?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sec+ took me a solid month of intense studying.

Having done 291 myself, I'd actually encourage you to do 291 first, if you're at all interested in it. It'll make things like IPSec, RADIUS, etc. more manageable. I wasn't familiar with any of that when I took mine. Having a chance to work with it will probably make your Security+ studies easier.

Are you thinking about going for MCITP: EA? That's five exams starting from scratch, which you will have to do without an MCSA or MCSE. If you do 291, you can take an upgrade and then three more, so it's going to be five exams either way. I'm not sure if that'll sway you one way or the other, but it's something to consider.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Are you thinking about going for MCITP: EA?
    Not one bit :)

First, im not sure how much those certs will catch on. I dont think they'll be worth the ROI

Second, I have no work exposure to Server 2k8, so my interest is very low.

I think once I get done with my cert goals this year, I'm done for a good while. I'm wore slap out.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think MCTS/MCITP will eventually catch on. Wait until Windows Server 2008 and Vista start to really catch on. Server 2008 is still new but I think it will catch on quick, as for Vista I am not sure but in my opinion give it another year or so and it will take off, maybe less (or maybe not at all I don't know for sure). If MCTS/MCITP doesn't become popular I would think Microsoft would do something about that. They probably just need to advertise more. If worst comes to worst I would hope they would just bring back the MCSA/MCSE but I don't see that happening.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's too bad they were forced to change the nomenclature of their certifications. The MCSE has be the de facto MS cert since NT 4. When I get my MCITP: EA, I should just put (MCSE 200icon_cool.gif next to it on my resume...
  • Options
    Does anyone know what the passing score is?

My Sybex book says 765/1000. I thought I saw comptia's site say 850/1000, but I've seen people post lower passing scores.

**Nevermind I confused myself. 765/900 is what comptia says, which is 85%. So basically we can only miss 15 questions out of 100. Yipes.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Just don't forget there are some unscored questions and questions may possibly be weighted as well! So you really can't determine a true maximum number of missed questions. Don't think about it, knowing that number is what gave me some major stress just hours before I took the exam.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    msnelgrovemsnelgrove Member Posts: 167
    Don't worry too much about the passing score as it can seem quite intimidating. Just make sure you know every topic in each domain and you will have no problems.
  • Options
    RoboNerdRoboNerd Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Since you're starting from scratch, I recommend both studying the books and, more importantly, getting your "hands dirty". Try out some security-based Linux distros. Knoppix-STD is a bit outdated but it still has the full spectrum of tools that can introduce you to the most important concepts. Do a "Fantasy League" for your work. Make a basic IRP, BCP, and DRP. Each day, think of a different attack vector against your employer and how you would shut it down. Keep "score". Just don't really go around probing and cracking! Keep it "virtual".

This exercise might sound ridiculous, but you'll probably find yourself looking at the book in just the right places for the information you need to play out your practice runs. I found these exercises very useful; in fact, I was able to find several gaping security holes in my own system because of them.

Just remember, at the end of the day, you have to take all this abstract information and turn it into real results. Practice runs are a great way to make that leap.