Options

What are the best options with an Computer Science BSc

zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
Now, I know this question is a hard one to answer, but really, all I'm looking for is opinions, I don't expect any one answer to be the "right" one, I'm just looking for advice. The link shows a pdf document which makes a few suggestions as to paths that someone with a Computer Science degree can take. Thus far, I'm interested in doing my masters in information security, so I can hopefully land a job working in the financial sector dealing with security audits and forensics. However, I'm not opposed to other ideas, in fact, it doesn't have to be directly related to Computers at all (the pdf mentions fields like Law and Actuarial science), and I'm not limiting myself in any way. So, guys, your suggestions would be appreciated.

http://cns.utexas.edu/career_services/students/files/computersciences.pdf

Comments

• Options
    TryPingingTheServerTryPingingTheServer Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Having just earned a B.CS. myself, I'm in the same boat as you. If you've got the grades to do a masters you might as well go for it. I'm heading down the IT path but many of my colleagues who graduated in CS are opting for business analyst roles with consulting groups. So, their roles are more geared towards general problem solving. Good money to be made with consulting groups but it seems like the opportunities are only available for the top 10% of my class. Since your grades are good, it's worth looking into.

Good luck on your search
    "His GPA is a solid 2.0. Right in that meaty part of the curve - not showing off, not falling behind."
  • Options
    Well, I was able to squeeze Upper Second Class Honours, so I qualify for almost all masters programs, but it's not terribly easy to get a scholarship having missed out on First Class Honours. I'm not sure how the American system works, we more or less do things the British way so what I just typed may not mean much to you. Positions like Business Analyst, management and network engineering seem to be where the money is, but, landing those jobs can be rough. Thanks for the good wishes btw, I'll need all the luck I can get, this field is becoming VERY competitive.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    In America, if you have the money (or even if you don't), there is a school somewhere who will give you a chance. Yes, this even extends to grad school.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I'd say unless you have a some good job prospects lined up go for the masters full time and get some work part time to pay the bills. When I was doing my undergrad I got a part time gig doing tech support and I was able to study during down time. Worked very well for me I was able to study and gain experience I did that for about a year and then landed a full time gig. Now I have an excellent full time job and am heading back part time for my MST.
  • Options
    shednik wrote:
    I'd say unless you have a some good job prospects lined up go for the masters full time and get some work part time to pay the bills. When I was doing my undergrad I got a part time gig doing tech support and I was able to study during down time. Worked very well for me I was able to study and gain experience I did that for about a year and then landed a full time gig. Now I have an excellent full time job and am heading back part time for my MST.

shednik, what is your job right now, if you don't mind me asking? What exactly is an MST, are you doing that in a particular area (I'm assuming it's something like an MSc).
  • Options
    So, right now, I'm considering an MSc in Banking and Finance. I think I may leave this field all together due to the poor pay and lack of opportunities. I have approximately two years to make up my mind, but as of right now, I think this is probably the path I will take. It's probably either this, or an MSc in Information Security but, like I said, I don't know if I can put in the effort required to earn an MSc and then have to worry if anyone will offer me a job. There just doesn't seem to be much of a chance for a good job and worthwhile salary in IT, and I'm putting in all this work, and not seeing any payoff. I think it's time to change fields. My grades are good enough to get me in to quite a few masters programs, so I think I'll put my Comp Sci degree to its best use, and get out of the field by doing a masters that will make me some money. Any suggestions? Am I being premature?