Security jobs

mukuljackmukuljack Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am In info security field with 2yrs exp.Its just account administration with night shifts..Nothing much technical..Is there some thing I shd do to move into pure INfo sec and whats the scope of info sec in coming days???
Mukul

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The scope of InfoSec is huge and not just technical. There are plenty of InfoSec people working in risk management, financial auditing, and business planning that are not technical at all. Many technical people get started in InfoSec as server or network admins who happen to have security as part of their job duties. This sounds like your case as well.

With two years of experience, I would say look at the Security+ and SSCP certifications as a way to promote your InfoSec skills and experience on your resume.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    In addition to JD's comments being you have 2 years of InfoSec experience it sounds you may qualify for the Certified Ethical Hacker certification. This one has caught my eye and unfortunately I just don't have the experience requirement fulfilled at the moment. Give that a look as well or there is always the route of education with a concentration on InfoSec. Best of luck to you!!
  • mukuljackmukuljack Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks to both of you...It seems I am in a good carreer path :D ,but some how I feel that the work I do is more like a support guy..May be bcaz i am only a part of account administration and nothing else.But still I would like to know the future and career path ahead..and the salary stuff..In india its still below the development and sw testing icon_confused.gif
    Mukul
    If you are interested in InfoSec then stay with it. You can specialize in InfoSec as a system or network administrator, help desk tech, programmer, architect, instructor, auditor, manager/director, etc. Security is a need that will always be here; it will set you apart from the others who don't learn/work/certify in Information Security.
    Point Noted..very strong thought..but 1 more questtion..How to be a prorammer with Security Profile
    Mukul
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't make sacrifice security for functionality and you'll do ok. Try to keep a happy medium between functionality, security, and ease of use and that's as much as anyone can ask for.
    mukuljack wrote:
    Point Noted..very strong thought..but 1 more questtion..How to be a prorammer with Security Profile
    It is likely that you will work for a company that makes security software products, such as firewalls, Malware scanners, penetration testing tools, log management, auditing, vulnerability checking, etc. You could also work on back-end server systems for security applications, or on the firmware in network appliances (routers, firewalls, etc.). Also be very familiar with the Secure Software Development Life Cycle, such as the Trustworthy Computing initiative used by Microsoft.
    I applied for an Interview and they asked me questions about quality.the post was for QA.Is this a good profile being in security??
    Mukul
    What is the title of the position? Quality Assurance Engineer? If you are QAing security-related products, services, or policies then it may be a good InfoSec opportunity. You may need a non-InfoSec job just to get your foot in the door and then later transfer to the organization's InfoSec department.