Java/ActiveX SSL?

benbuiltpcbenbuiltpc Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
I recently installed a new DVR system (http://www.aver.com/dvr/nv3000.html) that runs as an application to serve remote connections. It installs a webcam plug in when you remotely connect to the site.

It runs as its own webserver; not an IIS site.

Is there any way to configure such an application to use SSL? For obvious reasons, I'd like to lock it down with client/server certificates.

Thanks for any ideas.

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    SSL (and TLS) is a protocol that must be directly supported by the Web server's software. If the management page for the Web server in your DVR does not have an option for enabling SSL or TLS communications, then it doesn't support it. It is likely that SSL isn't support because it would require a way to load digital certificates into your DVR for the authentication of connections.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You could always put it behind something like OpenVPN and VPN to it.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    Only if the DVR could be configured as a VPN end-point, which it probably can't. The Web sever in embedded devices (like Webcams) are typically very simplistic and only used for configuring the device.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why couldn't you put another advice between it? Just a tiny linux box with two NICs. That's what I was going for.
  • benbuiltpcbenbuiltpc Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The webcam itself isn't IP enabled. It's a coax feed into the DVR card. The power cable is bundled into the coax, so it's a pretty nice setup. The software is quite robust, and for $150 is better than I expected. However I didn't find any SSL/TLS options.

I did some packet sniffing while logging in to the server, and I couldn't find any evidence of the password being sent in cleartext. It's possible the plugin does some sort of encryption, right?

I guess my idea was to "convert" the standalone app into an IIS app, if that makes any sense. Basically bundle it into IIS for multi-layer authentication. But I'm probably just dreaming.