Options

Failed (SUCK MY TEETH!) >_<

bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
Damn I failed the test with a score of 756. I fee just terrible you know. All of that studying in vain. Half of my summer is gone now. I used all of CBT Nuggets, Syngress and Sybex. I think the mixed materials really had me mixed up. I'm going to stick to one book instead. I've heard about Transcenders, Prep logic, and Test out but my money is limited (*only 17 no job). Which one would you prefer. I want to retake it before august 25 so i would like you all views who are already Sec+ certified fast! Why doesn't anyone talk about Prep Logic's stuff and its the suggested one? icon_rolleyes.gif
Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    That sucks that you missed the passing point. It isn't all a waste though! 756 is pretty close to a passing score for this test. No real need to ditch your current materials, just look at what areas you did poorly on and then go and really get into it with the studying. Then go and knock that test out.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Sorry to hear that you didn't pass, it happens to the best of us. One thing I can say is that you should definitely stick with the mixed materials. All the books and other training materials cover the same body of knowledge, but they approach it in different ways. If you only study one book or one video course, you'll be liable to miss things or misinterpret things. If you study more than one resource and understand the material, then you're in much better shape to not only pass the exam, but also to undestand the material to the point of actually being able to do security work.

On that note, keep one thing in mind about Security+: this is a second-tier exam, not meant to be taken in the same vein as A+ and Network+. While those are entry-level exams, Security+ is only entry-level in terms of security. In order to secure a network, you have to understand how the network functions. Basically, the more you know going into the Security+ exam, (like being MCSA/MCSE or CCNA/CCNP level,) the more you get out of it. A lot of material you learn builds on pre-existing networking and systems administration knowledge, and probably won't be applicable. You'll also find yourself forgetting a lot of it six months down the road, unless it's been more than memorizing out of books and training courses. I'm not trying to discourage you from taking the exam, just trying to give some perspective on what the test is about.

Good luck on your retake, let us know how it goes.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    tigerthekidtigerthekid Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote:
    Sorry to hear that you didn't pass, it happens to the best of us. One thing I can say is that you should definitely stick with the mixed materials. All the books and other training materials cover the same body of knowledge, but they approach it in different ways. If you only study one book or one video course, you'll be liable to miss things or misinterpret things. If you study more than one resource and understand the material, then you're in much better shape to not only pass the exam, but also to undestand the material to the point of actually being able to do security work.

On that note, keep one thing in mind about Security+: this is a second-tier exam, not meant to be taken in the same vein as A+ and Network+. While those are entry-level exams, Security+ is only entry-level in terms of security. In order to secure a network, you have to understand how the network functions. Basically, the more you know going into the Security+ exam, (like being MCSA/MCSE or CCNA/CCNP level,) the more you get out of it. A lot of material you learn builds on pre-existing networking and systems administration knowledge, and probably won't be applicable. You'll also find yourself forgetting a lot of it six months down the road, unless it's been more than memorizing out of books and training courses. I'm not trying to discourage you from taking the exam, just trying to give some perspective on what the test is about.

Good luck on your retake, let us know how it goes.

+1 on that. Just keep your chin up and knock out every practice you can. Also, take your time reading each question if you feel you are rushing yourself.
    ~J.J.~
  • Options
    bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can you all tell me all study materials that you all used?
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I used Security+ Guide to Networking Security Fundamentals and the corresponding lab manual, which was the biggest single boost to my studies. I did a lot of lab-work, I'd taken a couple of IT security classes at my college after finishing up MCSA classes, (but not the MCSA tests,) so I had plenty of background info going in. I also went through the TestOut and CBT Nuggets for the exam, which helped out a great deal. The week of the test, I also spent a great deal of time paging through the Mike Meyers Passport book as well, although I shouldn't admit that since I sat in the bookstore reading it, and the only thing I'd paid for was the coffee. icon_wink.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I used techexams.net, google.com, and my own experience. Your study materials combined with researching online should be more than enough, it just may be the experience factor that is missing which is making it a lot harder for you. So I will stick to my recommendation of identifying the areas that you really struggled with and then really studying your heart out in those areas. This one is a hard exam. I consider it the most difficult exam I've taken so far. It is also the exam I've studied the hardest for. There's no shame in failing it. Just keep studying.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Oh man that means you missed it by one question then if my math is right. It really sucks to think that one little piece of trivia or a poorly worded question/answer cost you $250. Another part of why I hate this certification game.
  • Options
    Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    Remember to use the report you got back with your test to help guide your studying - along with anything you thought you had to guess on. Write down anything you can remember struggling with or being unsure about, so you don't forget about it. It is important to understand what you didn't know for the test - so you know it next time.

Also, if your school has a technical program, you may be able to get a discount on study materials. When I was in high school, I was able to purchase TestOut software for very, very low prices. I spent a month or two studying through the entire TestOut for Sec+ and taking notes that I could look back over, and was very pleased with the product (passed with an 830). If your school has a tech prep program, ask a tech instructor if there is a way you can get discounts on certification study material. If you won't see him or her with it being the summer, check your school's web site for his e-mail address and ask that way.

The best thing to get over is the idea that the progress you have made in your knowledge of security has been wasted because you didn't pass the test. I have had the same fear leading up to certification tests, but the reality is that you can always study and retake the test, knowing that you will be more prepared the second time. It's not the end of the world, and knowledge obtained is never wasted as long as you are still focused on your goal, and it seems like you are. Computer security is very hot stuff to know - to *know*, not just to be certified in - it is pervasive of the entire IT environment, and is one of the most interesting fields to be in.
  • Options
    jayman47jayman47 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When i took the exam i felt that much of the stuff were things i had learned on the MCSE 2000 and 2003 track.Things that after some years and certifications will become obvious.I used CBT Nuggets and i think i read a book also.Two years ago so i don't remember.Didn't know the cost of the exam until after i had passed.Thank the man uppstairs for that or else i woudn't had deared to take it.Sorry that you didn't pass but you have gained some experience though.Good luvk on your next try.Best regards.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Man, sorry to hear about the fail. I am sure that you will get it the next time though. You should already be prepared to the content and questions. I haven't used the testout stuff, but their website page for the Security+ cd look to be good. I like the idea of sims as well. I sit the exam on the 24th, so I am getting a little concerned, just that nervous before a test feeling. Good luck on the retake, although the price for this test sucks, especially if you have take a secodn time.

Slowhand, do you rate the testout material to be better than the CBTnuggets?
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    ITGuyRickITGuyRick Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looks like you are close.. You'll get it next time!
    Rick
    Working on: LPIC 1, Next: CWNA, CCNA
    BSIT Capella University (ongoing)
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Don't give up!! I went back though the threads for Security+ and read about what people had noted on the exam. That helped out.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    RoboNerdRoboNerd Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you get a printout with the domains you tripped up on? You should have. It's a very simple matter of solidifying your knowledge in those areas. And don't just study -- try a little hands-on experience with software that relates to those domains, if possible. Just a little hands-on work does a lot of good for me; it cements those concepts into something more than just words on a page. Getting my hands dirty tends to "turn on that light bulb", where I suddenly jump to understanding how the topic fits in with the real world.

Do that and I bet you'll pass next time, no problem.