Options

Where to start?

tmlerdaltmlerdal Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well, I'm finally to the point I think I'm ready to start at least thinking about the CCIE. I just finished up my CCIP cert, as a short step on the way (looking at the BGP and QOS requirements for the IE). My question now is, where to start studying for the written? I see lots of posts about Lab prep, but not as much directed at just the written.

Here is what I'm thinking:
1. Review notes from BSCI and BCMSN courses to get familiar again with various topics there that are now fuzzy.
2. Start with Routing TCP/IP Volume 1 followed by Volume 2
3. Some light practice in lab with dynamips and live routers/switches

And of course keep paying attention to the forums and other CCIE blogs and reading on Cisco's website as well as the new learning center.

Anyone have any other suggestions or tips? I'm don't want to rush into taking the written until I'm feeling extremely confident and am really ready to devote the time to the Lab.

Comments

• Options
    jayman47jayman47 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In the same boat here buddy.CCIE security though.Have been checking out some bootcamps.If i remember correctly you have a max of 18 months between the written and lab.Do not know if i dare though.
  • Options
    tmlerdaltmlerdal Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I should have specified, I'm looking at the Routing and Switching CCIE.

I have managed to get work to pay for a few things from Internetwork Experts that looks to be extremely promising material.
  • Options
    jayman47jayman47 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I figured it was the r&s.Have been looking at Internetwork Experts also and ipexpert.I haven't made up my mind though.Also working on the CCNP and the update certs on server 08.Would like to go for the CCIE Security.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    CCIE exam guide is a great book for the written.

The audio classes and Vol 1 from internetwork expert. These will also help with the lab of course too. Get the COD if your company is willing to pay for it.

Any other books that you feel weak on. There are specific BGP, Multicast, OSPF, etc books out there, so pick up whatever you feel the routing TCP/IP books wont be enough for you.

There is also a CBT nuggets for the written if you enjoy those.
  • Options
    marlon23marlon23 Member Posts: 164 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1. Read CCIE exam certification guide from Wendell Odom from cover to cover

2. Watch IE COD videos

3. Start doing the IE lab workbook

4. Do the IE bootcamp

5. See where you are (Can you finish lab 8 difficulty in 6 hours?)

6. Conquer any gasps, weaknesses

5. Pass the CCIE lab :)

Optional: You'll find more info in IE CoD :)
    LAB: 7609-S, 7606-S, 10008, 2x 7301, 7204, 7201 + bunch of ISRs & CAT switches
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GT-Rob wrote:
    CCIE exam guide is a great book for the written.

I am generally not a great fan of exam cert guides, but this one by Odom et al is exceptionally good. icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.