Need a suggestion

NullCodeNullCode Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi . Here is my question , hope you reply with some suggestions , thank you .

I'm in my 3rd year( out of 4 ) at a faculty in my country . I'm studying computer science and i do not know what do to .
Should i get a job ( starting from Octobere ) or lear for certs ? I'm going to take my CCNA in a few weeks ,and get a CCNA related job , but here is my delema "Certs or job ? " .
I'm like security stuff , so i'm going for CCSP next ( i saw CCNA:S icon_sad.gif ) .Should i study for certs/exams( faculty ) harder ,or should i get a job to get some experience .
THank you .

Comments

• TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    I'd say try to work while going to school. In IT, experience is king, even if you have schooling.

Ask your IT professors about any internship so you can keep your hours at part-time so you can study. If there isn't any open internships you may need to look at full-time entry level jobs.

Either way, in school or out of school, you're going to be doing entry level stuff.
  • NullCodeNullCode Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your suggestion . I was thinking the same way too .
    Waiting for more suggestions if u have them, let them come
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I'd try and find some part time work doing something IT related while going to school and studying for certs. It can be tough to balance it all but it will pay off in the end.
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    shednik wrote:
    I'd try and find some part time work doing something IT related while going to school and studying for certs. It can be tough to balance it all but it will pay off in the end.

Yep I'm currently doing this and trust me Part-time work, Full-time school and studying for certs might sound easy but you really have to grab it by the horns icon_lol.gif

Look at it this way, you only need to do it for 4 years max until you get your degree and after the 4 years you'll have that degree, experience and certs to apply for that dream job :)

Of course unless you plan on getting your masters icon_wink.gif

Good luck, I know I need it.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Without a doubt you will want to get a job, I've been told that one of the worst things you can do is get a degree in the IT field and have no work experience. A degree will make you over qualified for many jobs and what it does make you qualified for you can't get without any experience.

Its a vicious cycle icon_eek.gif
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    Aldur wrote:
    Without a doubt you will want to get a job, I've been told that one of the worst things you can do is get a degree in the IT field and have no work experience. A degree will make you over qualified for many jobs and what it does make you qualified for you can't get without any experience.

Its a vicious cycle icon_eek.gif

+1.... experience is king in our field!
  • NullCodeNullCode Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thank you for all your great suggestions . Now i decided ... i'll get a job ;) .
    Thank you ppl.