Options

Linux Mail Server

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am starting a new project at home to increase knowledge,

( Ally's Linux Mail Server Project)

O/S - Ubuntu 7.10

Ok Since I am new to this whole Mail server stuff I want to create this thread as a newbies guide to setting up a mail server, of course being new to this I will run into all sorts of problems so this is where I hope the linux vets in this forum can aid me and others in completing this project.

I will be running XP as my main O/S with Ubuntu 7.10 running through Vmware to configure the mail server and to get it up and running.

The reason why I am doing this? As I said earlier I wish to increase my knowledge and obtain skills as I am in the process of looking for charities to volunteer for, with my new server skills I can give the community back something I have learnt for free and increase my skillset in the process.

( Questions before I start)

Ok so that is the introduction out the way, Firstly there are some areas of my knowledge which are presently blank.

The first question is am I able to register a domain for free on the internet? As I need to have at least 2 email address for testing purposes.

Secondly what is the best Protocol to use Pop3 / Imap??

Lastly has anyone in this forum successfully set up a linux mail server if so can you enlighten me about the process.
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Awesome I will be watching this one closely to implement later on when i have some time.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can register a domain through GoDaddy, Network Solutions or dozens of other registers for $10-12/year (less if there's specials).

There isn't a "best" protocol to use. Think of POP as a traditional client, such as Outlook Express and IMAP as a web mail service, such as gMail (you can configure a client to use IMAP as well though). Hit up Wikipedia to read about the specific differences. It's really going to depend on your needs, and you can use both.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I try to use IMAP4 whenever possible instead of POP3.. POP3 by default takes mail off the mail server which reduces recoverability (PST Hell). IMAP also gives you access to more folders whereas POP3 by default only takes mail out of the inbox. If you're using something like Outlook, you can still use a calendar, but it's not a server based calendar. The only thing that'd be server based is your Inbox data.

But since you are learning, as Dynamik stated, read up on the differences between the two protocols
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    So there are no ways to register a free domain? I just need email address's to play with

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Um, not that I'm aware of. Registrars have to pay fees to ICANN, so they'll have to make it up somehow. They can't really integrate ads or something like that into domain names.

Have you registered a domain name for your name? You might want to look into doing that in case you want a blog or something in the future. It'd be better to do that sooner than later. You can always use that for a test.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you intend to use SMTP to send from your server bear in mind most ISPs block it and you will need to arrange to either clear your IP or relay your SMTP server to theirs both of which usually require some kind of business account.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    GrynderGrynder Member Posts: 106
    If you intend to use SMTP to send from your server bear in mind most ISPs block it and you will need to arrange to either clear your IP or relay your SMTP server to theirs both of which usually require some kind of business account.

You will further need your ISP's help setting up reverse lookup
    I tried to do the exact same thing as you (mail server for testing at home) but because of an unresponsive ISP I was not able to get it up and running.
    I installed Scalix and have it running as a relay using fetchmail and sending mail through the ISP smtp server. Not exactly what you want but it was all I could do without upgrading to a business account.
    It is fully functional inside my network though :D
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    On my CentOS box, I have installed procmail, dovecot, and sendmail for managing the email. I also added spamassassin for filtering, and mailman for list management.

I am partial to IMAP. IMAP will give you direct access to the folders associated with the email account and the mail remains on the server. POP on the other hand downloads the email to your local client and generally removes it from the server.

If you have a static IP address you can just use that. But if you want a domain you can use a dynamic DNS client. I have a domain name (sorta) using NO-IP.org, which is free.

As far as having port 25 blocked by the ISP, you can reconfigure your email server to use a non-standard port, which is a bit of a pain.

If you want to send email to user@test.com it probably won't work because of the reverse lookup issue, but you can probably send it to user@w.x.y.z (IP address). I never messed with it as I was setting this up for fun. I did however have this working when I set it up originally in my Unix Admin class at the University, albeit on the University's domain.

Let us know how things go. :)
  • Options
    Well this certainly seems like a challenge to get going from a home perspective. Regarding the ISP issue do they purposely block port 25 on your router?

If so how is anybody supposed to learn anything these days :P

• Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    It is not blocked on my router. It is actually being blocked by the ISP at their routers. They block this port to prevent spamming and mail flooding attacks out of residences. It makes their lives easier... icon_confused.gif

You can still get the idea and some practice by setting it up and having it work on your own private network.
  • Options
    SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    You should try giving them a call to see if they will allow you access to port 25. Or look for a new ISP. I am looking into DSL Extreme Kevin Rose gave them a big thumbs up said they don't care what you do with your bandwidth as long as you pay for bill.
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ally_uk wrote:
    Well this certainly seems like a challenge to get going from a home perspective. Regarding the ISP issue do they purposely block port 25 on your router?

If so how is anybody supposed to learn anything these days :P

hi ally,

you dont need your ISP if you already have that vmware thing - just for studying mail server.

its your vmware : using 1 linux box (or more - your choice)
    1. create 1 DNS server contains 2 dummy domains & MX record : test.local and try.local
    2. create 2 mail domain test.local and try.local ---> prefer using postfix instead of sendmail
    3. create 2 pop or imap
    4. use your laptop or another machine to send and receive the email.

so you dont have to use the internet :)

HTH.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.