Current Job

jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
Well I work for Circuit City and my manager had me hang out near Firedog because I'm suppose to transfer there after my 30 day "sales training" is complete.

I was completely shocked how little these guys knew... They had all three of them working today because it was Saturday... Only one of them actually knew his stuff and was certified (A+) the other two had been selling for Circuit City for 2-3 years. For the 4 hours I "shadowed"(watch them) there was 8 phone calls to the Firedog Tech Support line where they help in-store techs with problems.

The job overall is ok, selling is quite fun if you know what you are talking about but they really want you to pressure the customer so much and they get PIST if you do not sell certain things with certain items (ie Warranty's, Cases etc.)

Point is that my experience so far with Circuity City as an EMPLOYEE is not "excellent."
"It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
-Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA

Comments

• shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Yea I did some sales work for dell in those kiosks in the mall, not sure if your city had them or not. Anyway they always try to get you to up-sell things and it gets old fast. Take the experience for what you can but always have your resumed out there. If I remember correctly you're still in college correct? Does your school have any type of career center? Mine really helped me they actually held the mass interview for the company I work for now. They interview about 200-300 people from 5 schools in my area for 20 positions to be filled between February and May. I was one of them that got the job, so if you see something like that don't just pass it up. I would really be kicking myself if I hadn't gone for that position.
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    shednik wrote:
    Yea I did some sales work for dell in those kiosks in the mall, not sure if your city had them or not. Anyway they always try to get you to up-sell things and it gets old fast. Take the experience for what you can but always have your resumed out there. If I remember correctly you're still in college correct? Does your school have any type of career center? Mine really helped me they actually held the mass interview for the company I work for now. They interview about 200-300 people from 5 schools in my area for 20 positions to be filled between February and May. I was one of them that got the job, so if you see something like that don't just pass it up. I would really be kicking myself if I hadn't gone for that position.

Yeah my school does have this but its community college and you REALLY had to bug the guys running the Internship office, they do not go out of their way to help students.

Also about 4 out of 25 of the internships I looked up were paid... I have no financial problems but gas prices alone cause me to have a $100-$150 bill each month.

I'm still currently searching for jobs and plan on trying the internship office again if all else fails.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jryantech,

Do your time, get in and get out. Do you think you can see yourself making it one year there?

If you can have your CCNA and MCSA inside of a year you'll be able to snap up a great desktop support job easy in no time.
    -Daniel
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Daniel333 wrote:
    jryantech,

Do your time, get in and get out. Do you think you can see yourself making it one year there?

If you can have your CCNA and MCSA inside of a year you'll be able to snap up a great desktop support job easy in no time.

+1

Right now you need experience, but your ass on getting some certs, and then you'll be able to move on.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender