Options

is it safe to work in oman

I'm considering working in Oman as a lab technician. Is it safe? I heard they maintain a very strict law and the culture is a very different and it makes me think if moving to that place worths it. thanks.
No Sacrifice, No Victory.

Comments

• Options
    JammywanksJammywanks Member Posts: 127
    You're cutting it close, thats somewhat near what may be the next hot spot of the world... if sh!t goes down....
    CCNA Lab: Two 1720's, one 2520, two 2924XL switches
    [IPCop box] PIII 1GHz | 512MB RAM | 1 Gig Compact Flash HD
    Errors in your CCNA text book? Never mind, the authors don't care.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would rather eat my own foot.

They dont like pretty little westerners over there! but seen as though your from "over that side of the world" i dont know how they take you.

You'll find v.gd rates for contract jobs over that neck of the woods but its because its pretty much death money.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    I actually have a story about Oman. When I was in the military several years ago, I went home on vacation from a tour in Kuwait. On the way back to Kuwaut, I had an 9 hour layover in Amsterdam. I did some of the naughty things one could do in Amstersam. Long story short, I fell asleep and missed my direct flight to Kuwait.

The ticket agent took pity on me and re-booked my flight for free, but this time with a connection and a 3 hour layover in Oman. I tried to call someone to ask if it was okay for me to go through there and got no answer. I took a chance, and it went okay. I felt really really odd being the only pasty white dude in the entire airport at the time. I felt like I was being stared at by everyone, but maybe it was paranoia.

I took a local airline for the short hop from Oman to Kuwait. Scary stuff. People praying and chanting, warm soda, smelly shoe-less feet (they all took their shoes off)... definetely a unique flying experience.

From what I hear now, Oman is fine if you are educated and respectful of their customs. Parts of Oman are still pretty traditional in terms of customs, but it is not a political or terrorist hotspot. If you're not white, that would be a bonus, alabaster skin doesn't command the respect that it used to. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    larrydaman wrote:

I took a local airline for the short hop from Oman to Kuwait. Scary stuff. People praying and chanting, warm soda, smelly shoe-less feet (they all took their shoes off)... definetely a unique flying experience.

I think it's not the feet. Maybe it's the PUMA bodyspray. j/k icon_lol.gif
    nel wrote:
    ou'll find v.gd rates for contract jobs over that neck of the woods but its because its pretty much death money.

Salary rate is good and yes the death money factor scares me.
    Jammywanks wrote:
    You're cutting it close, thats somewhat near what may be the next hot spot of the world... if sh!t goes down....

I've also heard about flash floods icon_cry.gif
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.