Options

Who plays a musical instrument?

HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
Just curious who here plays any musical instruments as a hobby?

Bonus points for listing what brand and model your instrument is.

I play piano and have been known to sing at organized events. Currently own a Kawai CA-5 digital piano. Looking to maybe take lessons if I can invent some free time...
Good luck to all!

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    guitar, bass, banjo and some drums

I would love to pick up playing the piano but I have no where near the dedication/time to do it right now
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, just posted this in another thread so I figured I would post it here:

I used to play guitar for 5-6 years but I stopped playing about 10 years ago. Lately I've had the urge to start playing again so I after a month or so of researching and checking out youtube videos, I purchased the following today:

Marshal MG100DFX amp
    Original Cry Baby Wah pedal
    MXR Wylde Overdrive pedal
    Ibanez GRG170DX guitar

And other miscellaneous stuff such as a stand, cables, etc...

I'm hoping I do get back into playing. If I do, I'm thinking once I get a bonus from work (depends on how billable we are), I will pick up an Ibanez prestige guitar with Dimarzio pickups. The guitar is quite expensive but if it starts becoming a hobby of mine again, then it's all good.

I picked up everything from the guitar center over here but the guitar is being shipped to me. So unfortunately, I can't start jamming yet and have to wait several days. icon_sad.gif

I may start taking some lessons when I can on weekends.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I played baritone and alto sax and trombone waaay back in the day. But now I play guitar:

Here is my rig:
    1x Epipone Explorer Gothic series (my baby :D )
    1x Samick Strat copy; tobacco sunburst (my first electric guitar, sentimental value :D )
    1x Regal Classical Acoustic (my uncle's when he was a kid)
    1x Randall RX120Rh Head (great for metal :D )
    1x Behringer 4x12 Cabinet (Great because it was cheap :D )
    1x Digitech RP200 effects pedal (Great for making the amp head sound more metal, and other things like drop tuning using the pedal :D )
    1x Dunlop Crybaby wah pedal (its fun! :D )

although my rig is geared more for metal, the clean and other digial effects are really fun to mess around with.
    I had a few more guitars and amps, but I sold them mostly for the half stack and guitar I have now.

HP, I hope I get some bonus points for that icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    I'm big on guitar and synthesizers.

I have three Ibanez's one acoustic the other two electric, i have a juno 106 and two gameboys running LSDJ.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm a drummer. I love Zildjian cymbals and Pearl drums. I also play bass drum on the drum line at school.
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I played different instruments a long time ago. Started with a clarinet for about 6-7 years then played bass clarinet for about 5 years before I switched to guitar (had a shitty C.C. Clark) then a few years after that played bass guitar for about a year. Haven't played anything in like 8 years though.

Edit: Yes, in school I was a band geek...
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used to write music for games before hitting the books harder, it's my plan to go back when the CCIE is done. So I guess I play piano (badly) since I primarily use a Midi Keyboard and Sonar.
    Want to inflict some aural pain? www.whisperbetweenworlds.com icon_twisted.gif
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,048 Admin
    I played alto sax, oboe, and bass clarinet in school, bass/contrabass clarinet and English horn in college (I was a music major), and have fooled around with several kinds of bagpipes. I use to collected musical instruments and have always wanted to take guitar and sitar lessons. At one time I thought seriously about becoming a musical instrument repairman and maker too. Oh, I got very close to applying to UCLA's ethnomusicology program, but I couldn't see how I could do that and pay the bills too.

Now, the only thing I do with music involves my car's CD player or the bathroom shower. ;)
  • Options
    1MeanAdmin1MeanAdmin Member Posts: 157
    In my home country, when I was in grades 2-7, I finished a professional 5-year school with accordion specialty in addition to going to regular school. We also had piano, voice, choir, musical literature classes there.
    In my late teens I played a guitar for about 5 years.
    I don't have the instruments anymore, but once I get more certs I may start with the guitar again.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    royal wrote:
    Well, just posted this in another thread so I figured I would post it here...

That post by the way had absolutely nothing to do with me creating this thread... :D (kidding...)
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I played organ in 6th grade, up to 2nd year high school. Right now I will be playing some drums, just ordered a 6 KIT Pearm VBX, I will post the pix when I get it :)
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    I play the popsicle icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    Turntables

Drum machine/Samplers

MPC 4000
    MPC 1000

Jazz Trained Clarinet player.

I own a Fender Jazz Bass, but only went through a few months of lessons.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Play ..... does that mean I have to actually make music that is recognisable?

Bass & drums ... but lets just say that experiment is a better word icon_redface.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    IncInc Member Posts: 184
    (cold) bathroom shower in the mornings +1
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    Played many instruments but stuck with guitar over the years. I played and recorded with several local death metal, black metal, and hardcore bands, never really went anywhere. Several of my band mates have moved on to bigger and better things (one of my drummers was in Aghora for a while, www.aghora.org). Decided there was no money in music, so I stopped chasing rock stardom.

Anyway:

Ibanez 540R American Custom Shop w/ active EMGs
    Ibanez RG7
    S/X 2000 (Short lived line made by the lead Fender designer, great rhythm guitar)
    Several acoustics :D
    Hammer Dulcimer
    2 Banjos (one is a fender, the other is rather old and doesn't leave the case)
    A cheap Casio keyboard (can play...sorta)

Vintage kustom 3x12 Guitar cabinet (pleated leather icon_cool.gif )
    1980's Kustom guitar cab and head (forgot model #)
    Fender blues jr tube amp :D
    Crate GXH-1200 icon_redface.gif

I still have a Digi001 running Protools.

God knows what else I have laying around if I started cleaning out my closets.

Still playing, might get a prog rock/metal project again when I finish my MS. Who knows, eh?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/45952-does-anyone-play-guitar.html?highlight=strat thread reminded me about this thread -- and I see I didn't post here before....

I had a Hammond B-3 with Tone Cabinet when I was a kid. I took lessons for 8 years, right up the week before leaving home for college. I was sight reading classical music and playing a Pipe Organ at my instructor's studio.

I forget when, but somewhere between College and the Army my parents gave away the B3 AND all my music. icon_cry.gif

I then went electronic. Yamaha DX7-IIFD and Yamaha V-50. Grabbed a Casio CZ-1 and added a couple of Yamaha TX81Z rack mounts.

Stuck with midi and rack mount synthesizers from there:

Roland rack mounts and expansion boards:
    JV-880 with SR-JV80-05 World

JV-1080 with SR-JV80-01 Pop, SR-JV80-17 Country, SR-JV80-19 House, SR-JV80-99 Experience. I got the Country expansion card for the Guitars (not the Country :D) , but I don't think that would count in the "Guitar Thread" icon_lol.gif

JV-2080 (still my baby) with SR-JV80-01 Pop, SR-JV80-02 Orchestral, SR-JV80-16 Orchestral II, SR-JV80-04 Vintage Synth, SR-JV80-07 Super Sound Set, SR-JV80-08 60’s & 70’s Keyboard, SR-JV80-09 Session, SR-JV80-11 Techno

I also have a E-mu Proteus 2000 with Protozoa (Proteus 1, 2, and 3) and Definitive B3 (Hammond Organ) sound modules, E-mu Orbit 9090, and Alesis NanoSynth.

And there's the Casio WK-1300, and a Casio WK-3800, a couple mixers, amps, a couple MOTU MIDI Express, cables, keyboard stands, etc....

I was trying to decide last year whether to add a new synthesizer/workstation and couldn't decide between a Yamaha Motif or Roland Fantom. At one point I thought about getting both -- but with the "contractor massacre" happening at work I decided to get a Hammond A-100 AND Leslie instead. I figured with the economy going down the tubes what better to play the Blues than a tonewheel Organ :D

Since then I may have added a couple USB MIDI controllers for the software synths and a BASYN MIDI 13-Note Pedalboard Controller.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    lambov12lambov12 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i play teh drums

pearl exr 9 piece kit
    tama iron cobra powerglide bass pedals
    tama ironcobra velo glide highhat stand
    sabian AAX cymbal set
  • Options
    sagewalkintheresagewalkinthere Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I play the radio. icon_wink.gif
    A.A.S. Multimedia Web Design, MCTS 70-623, MCTS 83-640, MCP 70-270, A+
    http://jasonereid.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    I don't play any instruments but I sing in a Cathedral Choir :)
  • Options
    billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
    I play the Soprano Sax (no i dont play Kenny G requests) Tennor Sax, Alto Sax and Digereedoo, not all at the same time though!!
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    I've played guitar for going on 13 years.
    My guitar list:
    4 Fender telecasters
    2 squire strats
    fender dg7 acoustic
    jackson kelly std
    bc rich mocking bird
    ibanez acoustic/electric 6 string
    ibanez acoustic/electric 12 string
    alvarez acoustic electric 6 string (koa wood)
    Ibanez bass
    1980's pawn show special body
    telecaster project guitar (i'll finish it someday)

Amps:
    Line 6 Spider 3
    Peavey transtube 15 watt practice amp
    small fender practice amp
    squire practice amp
    fender micro travel amp
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    n504693783_2324012_5381867.jpg

n504693783_2081635_5035.jpg

I might play a little :D

My degree was in Music Tech, just been using computer for that long so IT wasn't a jump of a career for me. Music is still my biggest love :)
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just got rid of all my gear, but I have played guitar for about 8 years. I just sold my Fender Strat, Martin acoustic (beautiful thing..miss it), tons of pedals that had been out of use for a long time, several Shure SM58/57 mics, a Yamaha EMX-5000 (I think? sold a year ago actually) mixer + two JBL SF25's (which total 4 15" subs), and finally my Line 6 half stack, 150W, with pedal..

Miss it all but the time isn't there anymore. Maybe someday..
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I strum my guitar still every once an awhile. ESP.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    gear update:

traded my Randall head for the Bugera 333XL. I know, I know; all you tone snobs out there are probably cringing/making fun/both. From an amateur standpoint, this thing is fantastic! I like the cleans, the crunch has a good classic rock sound, and the lead is AWESOME. And did I mention its loud? :) Team it up with some effects pedals, and you can get a good range of sound out of that thing.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Play Guitar, although i havent touched it for a long time now. Used to be a little hobby a few years back and was also in a local band. I used to love the crack, gigs and the booze. Happy days.

Stopped playing when i realised i wasnt going to be a rock star to concentrate on my degree/ Career :D

I own a US Fender strat - 3 tone sunburst. V nice indeed. i would love to pick it back up once i have completed alot of my studies. I just havent got the time at the moment.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking