Options

Cisco 2509 Problems

peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi TE Forums...

I just purchased an Access Server (2509). I'm all excited and begin to configure it... The problem I've run into is that I cannot gain access to the console of a device. When I connect to the session, I receive the "Open", but after hitting enter and waiting for nearly 20 minutes or so, I have no luck. When I perform a show sessions the session is displayed, I try to resume the connection and it will hang.

Here's my running config on the Access Server:
version 11.2
no service udp-small-servers
no service tcp-small-servers
!
hostname AccessServer
!
enable secret 5 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
!
no ip domain-lookup
ip host S1 2001 192.168.100.100
ip host R1 2002 192.168.100.100
!
interface Loopback99
 ip address 192.168.100.100 255.255.255.0
!
interface Ethernet0
 no ip address
 shutdown
!
interface Serial0
 no ip address
 shutdown 
!         
interface Serial1
 no ip address
 shutdown 
!         
no ip classless
!         
line con 0
 password cisco
 logging synchronous
 login    
line 1 8  
 no exec  
 exec-timeout 0 0
 transport input telnet
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
 exec-timeout 30 0
 login    
!         
end       

Here's the problem I'm running into:
AccessServer#S1
Trying S1 (192.168.100.100, 2001)... Open

After I hit the enter key, I receive nothing. This message will remain on the screen until I Ctrl+Shift+6 X.

Here's the results from a show sessions:
AccessServer#sh sessions 
Conn Host                Address             Byte  Idle Conn Name
   1 R1                  192.168.100.100        0     0 R1
*  2 S1                  192.168.100.100        0     0 S1

Do I have to configure the switch or router that I'm trying to reverse telnet into? One side note, the IOS that I'm using is 11.2(icon_cool.gif, can this potentially cause some of the problems I'm experiencing? Any help is greatly appreciated in this matter...

Here are a few links that I've come across from the TE forums and surfing the web:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9844
http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29867
http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=27650&seqNum=5

Thank you in advanced.

V/r

~Derrick
We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Do I have to configure the switch or router that I'm trying to reverse telnet into?
    Can you log into the device with just a regular console cable. Are you sure you've got the correct line cable end plugged into the device console port? Did you take another line cable that's working and try it on this device?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    GlynixxGlynixx Member Posts: 138
    also, I think you need a password on the telnet / vty lines to be able to telnet into them. Check that console cable too per Mike's suggestion.

Let us know how you make out.
    G
    Check out www.manager-tools.com for some great management training for free!
  • Options
    Glynixx wrote:
    also, I think you need a password on the telnet / vty lines to be able to telnet into them. Check that console cable too per Mike's suggestion.

I didn't think that I needed a password if I'm reverse telnetting into the console port via the Octal cable. Also, on some of my devices, I do have the vty lines with a password. I'll console into the devices directly to ensure they have passwords to see if that will make a difference.

Mike,
    I have the octal cable labeled 1 plugged into the switch and the cable labeled 2 plugged into the router. I actually had this happen with all of my devices. I was thinking that maybe it was a bad configuration on my part. It may be the cable that is not working. I'll continue to troubleshoot when I get home!

I have logged into all of the devices via the console port. Most of the devices that I have were already configured and some I reloaded their IOS to perform their configs from the access server. I'll continue to troubleshoot. Any ideas, please let me know. Thanks for all of your help thus far.

V/r

~Derrick

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you tried your octal cable connection in the console port of the device? Sometimes I get the same thing you get and hit enter like 10 times, then push the cable in better and it shows up on the screen. I just have to play around with the octal cables for a little bit until I get them to work. Hope that helps!
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • Options
    To All,

Thanks for your assistance. It appears the cable was bad. I was able to get another cable and voila... all is well. After I got it to work, I've noticed that some of the cables on the first octal were bad. Cables 1, 2, 4, and I think 7.

Anyhow, a new cable solved my problems. Thanks to all that assisted me.

V/r

~Peanut Head

-Mayor Cory Booker