Options

Secondary DNS Server required...

rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
Hello,

in this article Adding a Secondary DNS Server,, ther's said literally:
Domain Name System (DNS) design specifications recommend that at least two DNS servers be used to host each zone. For standard, primary zones, a secondary server is required to add and configure the zone so that it appears to other DNS servers in the network.
Honestly I tried to configure a server with one only primary standard zone, but I did not understand that described issue due to a one only primary standard zone (without a secondary), because I was able to do the same things as I made before.

What is this issue, kindly? Who knows?

Thanks.
Pork 3
Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.

Comments

• Options
    whistlerwhistler Member Posts: 108
    One DNS server per installation will of course work. But, the recommendation is to setup two DNS servers per domain. Two reasons come to mind quickly, one is that two DNS server can handle the load better in a domain than one DNS server does, second is if/when one of the DNS servers fails there is a redy replacement.
  • Options
    vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Domain Name System (DNS) design specifications recommend that at least two DNS servers be used to host each zone.

Keeping in mind that it is recommended, but not required.
    Certified Lunatic.
  • Options
    You are right, but this part I don't understand, in bold:
    Domain Name System (DNS) design specifications recommend that at least two DNS servers be used to host each zone. For standard, primary zones, a secondary server is required to add and configure the zone so that it appears to other DNS servers in the network.
    I don't know in fact what that wants mean.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It means you can't have two primary zones, so if you add a second one, it has to be a secondary. That's only for standard zones though. Active-directory integrated zones work differently (but you can still have secondary servers if you want).
  • Options
    If it's definitely so, OK. :)
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music