Options

PCI Express slots

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

Has anyone tried to use any of the slots, I mean the slot furthest away from the CPU whilst the slot closest to the CPU is empty

Just wonidering if this would work

Thanks

Lee H

Comments

• Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    What's the motherboard you're using and what's the card you're wanting to place into it?
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    This is more of a gerneral can it be done type of question, it was said by one of our users that he would like to purchase a additional fan that sits in a pci slot (not actually into a slot just in its place) and draws heat from inside the case outwards, he wanted to know if he could move the graphics card to another pci express slot so as to put this fan nearer to the cpu

I have never tried it so i was just curious if this is possible

Thanks

Lee H
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    You may want to check on the airflow of the case and see if putting a fan there will help or hinder. Also you would want to check on that motherboard and see if the slot he is wanting to move the video card to is a compatible slot. Don't forget to look up the video card specifications as well.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, check the speed of the PCI-E slot. They can be 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x, or 16x. Sometimes even though they take a 16x card, they only supply 8x or 4x power. Is it an SLI board? It would probably work if it's another 16x slot, but I haven't tried personally. You might have to change some settings in the BIOS or maybe it requires the first GPU to be in the first slot. Just swap out it and give it a shot ;)
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If it's a decent mbd it should work, but you may want to double check the manual. I have an ASUS SLI mbd with a single NVidia 8800GTS in the bottom slot and its working fine.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    IF he was two pci-e x16 slots than yes he can. But for pci-e 2x,4x the card will not fit they are a smaller connection. Now some x16 will run at x8 speeds but that depends on the mobo maker.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    dynamik wrote:
    Yea, check the speed of the PCI-E slot. They can be 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x, or 16x. Sometimes even though they take a 16x card, they only supply 8x or 4x power. Is it an SLI board? It would probably work if it's another 16x slot, but I haven't tried personally. You might have to change some settings in the BIOS or maybe it requires the first GPU to be in the first slot. Just swap out it and give it a shot ;)

PCI-E x16 slot can house all sizes = 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x and 16x....however your speed is limited by the max of the slot or the card.

PCI-E x4 can support = 1x, 2x, 4, and not a 8x or 16x.

Your total PCI-E should not exceed 20, although the ASUS board I checked on the other day stated it could total up to 22x....leave it to ASUS to be the oddball.

As already mentioned, I would check the airflow recommendation on your chassis before bothering with a PCI fan. Those things are typically a waste of money and power for no good reason. If your case is too hot, then something is designed poorly. Try tying up your cables and ensuring all your other fans are running optimally. Even switching out to a better quality chassis fan in all locaitons will help you out. I avoid gimmicky fans and cooling devices, myself. If I cannot build a case that functions without modifying it...I don't use it. I love Antec chassis' the only one I didn't 'love' was the Take3+650 I just tried icon_confused.gif .....not sure where their engineers were that day icon_sad.gif It's 'ok'...but they have better ones.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?