Options

xbox live to sell user made games

snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
**** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security

Comments

• Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    When XNA first came out I thought that this was the idea behind the whole thing, but then nothing happened for over a year. It's good to hear that they finally got the ball rolling, it could be very interesting to see what get produced.

Also, what better way for people to get game programming experience! I know a few people at school who will be very excited to hear about this.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    [RANT ON]

Why MS still charges $99 for XNA and requires an Xbox Gold membership is beyond me. Why charge game authors to write games for the Xbox that may bring additional revenue streams into MS? Does MS think it's Apple?

[RANT OFF]
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I thought everyone was applauding the $99 fee as opposed to the thousands it would typically take to get up and running with dev kits, etc.

Is that not true?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I know a few people that have been messing with XNA this past year, as well as some compatriots that have actually released a game on XBOX live.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    dynamik wrote:
    I thought everyone was applauding the $99 fee as opposed to the thousands it would typically take to get up and running with dev kits, etc.

Is that not true?
    Those expensive emulators and dev kits are typically needed for the embedded system gaming consoles, including the Xbox. The XNA is a wonderful thing for people who can't drop $10K on a developer's license, but didn't need to charge money at all for the XNA. If they wanted a little revenue for a support contract then I wish MS would just say that.