Options

VMware Lab

bogdan5bogdan5 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm stuck. I'm totally new to server 2003 and network setup. In MSPress book 70-622 it says. "if your network has another DHCP server, you will need to disable it for your practice computers to be correctly configured. For this reason, it is extremely important that the computers you use are connected to an isolated network". What???

I followed all directions in the book but they don't really explain it very good.

My original network uses 192.168.1.1 (default gateway)

Lab - windows 2003 ip 192.168.10.1 same subnet as my original network.

Help please.
Going for:N+, MCSA/MCSE.

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you have two dhcp servers that are on the same network segment, when you bring a computer online there is no telling which dhcp server will lease the client an IP address. In your case, it might be the dhcp for your original "production" network (in which the client would get a 192.168.1.x address) or the dhcp server for your lab (and the client would get a 192.168.10.x address).
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    I was browsing the web and if I want internet on my virtual network i have to set up one of the virtual machines as a router.

Does anybody have any good articles with instructions how to do it.

Thanks,
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Look up smoothwall. Quick and easy way to setup a vmware based box as a router.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Hi, there are various machines and programs you can use as a router but to aid you in your studies best I would recommend setting up XP as a router or utilising RRAS for this function. Start playing with it now and you'll thank me later on when you reach the 291.

Either way I dont follow why you need to do this? If you have a physical router all you need to do is set the Virtual Machine Network interface to Bridged or Shared (NAT), and you can connect via the physical machines NIC instead.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Sie,

He would need to do that if he's setting up a DHCP server for his lab, but wants to use the DHCP in his SOHO router otherwise.

In that case, you don't really have a choice but to setup a VM router. IPCop, m0n0wall, or even a Microsoft ISA server using secure NAT would work. You might want to check VMware's site for a prebuilt VM appliance that's ready to do this, too.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Yep if he wants it provided to multiple machines, what I was referencing was one machine :)

As stated you need a router for multiple machines, if its just one use the mentioned VM Networking options.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Vyatta is another powerful router/firewall. It can be a bit complex though (it's CLI-based).
  • Options
    Right now I have windows server 2003, vista and xp set up as my lab. I want server 2003 and vista to be a part of a domain. Eventually I'll be adding more VMs as I'll start studying for MCSA/MCSE. I want to have a separate virtual network with internet connection so I can pay around with WSUS and I don't want to have it touch my production network. I don't want to disable DHCP on my linksys router because I don't want to manually set up all the desktops/laptops we use at my house.

Anyway, when I get home tonight I'll look into your input and see what I can come up with.

Thanks,
  • Options
    I downloaded IPCop from vmware website but I'm having a hard time understanding all the directions on how to configure everything. As a work around I'll just change the DHCP scope on windows 2003 server to only allocate IPs to VMs with specific MAC addresses.

Thanks for all your help guys. I'll tackle IPCop after passing 70-621 during my studies for A+.
  • Options
    jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
    Is some of you tried this procedure:
    http://ebrux.mvps.org/vmRouter/vmrouter.htm

I couldnt make it communicate with the virtual router. Is somebody try this maybe you can point me to a more detailed procedure. Thanks!!!