Options

DNS Question

Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
I have a server 2003 enterprise machine. Installed DNS without A.D.
Looked at my records. They all seem fine until I saw my NS record. Just said computername.

Just computername and a . afterwards. How come my suffix isn't being filled in when I create a new forward lookup zone?

Comments

• Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Did you specify the parent domain during the DNS wizard?
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Sie wrote:
    Did you specify the parent domain during the DNS wizard?

Yes I did. I typed in specifically nuggetlab.com (using same name from the CBT)
    Method I used was going into manage your server as well as using the add/remove programs method. No difference. FYI I did it on 2 machines I have. Both running same copy of Windows Server Enterprise. NO SP. I should however use the trial though. I used a CD I got from my IT instructor. I doubt using SP1 makes a difference?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is this machine a member server or stand-alone server?
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:

Both are members.
  • Options
    DragonNOA1DragonNOA1 Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is your domain AD-integrated? Don't you need to be a DC to get AD-integrated zone information and then give it time to replicate?

To clarify, you are looking at DNS on the current machine and not a DC w/ DNS?
    The command line, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

Both are members.

Do you have a DC?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    No domain controllers. Does it matter?

DNS just isn't filling in the name correctly. Just says computername.

That's it.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How are they both member servers if you don't have a DC?

Member servers are computers that are joined to a domain. You need a DC to have a domain.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    No domain controllers. Does it matter?

DNS just isn't filling in the name correctly. Just says computername.

That's it.

Cant believe you dont have a DC. Like dynamik said, if there are member servers, there's got to be a domain. So there's got to be a DC.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    You can still install and use DNS without active directory. No need to get hung up on AD on this question. Actually DNS gets installed before active directory does as AD requires DNS. So what happens if you scrap and recreate the zone? Does your server have root hints? It sounds like the dns server was created as a root server and the zone is pointing to the root server.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Actually, this is common if you do not have active directory running on the Domain Controller. How DNS works in AD is if you have a member server setup as a DNS server it will query itself first, timeout after 15 seconds and then try and query the next dns server. Since you do not have an AD Controller it doesnt know to complete the domain name.

Ideally you should be setting up your Domain Controller and point DNS to itself. After that you can create additional Domain Controllers and setup DNS as well, however you still want to point them to the first DNS server in the hiarchy.

Remember the way DNS in Windows works is it is really used for internal DNS routing only. It wasn't designed to pass external DNS traffic. IE: sit on the outside of your network. The reason for this is because you dont want other people to figure out you AD schema. So with that in mind I always think of Windows DNS as internal use only and then use forwarders for external dns resolution.

Also, can you check this file and tell me if you have any errors in there?

C:\Windows\System32\config\netlogon.dns

Please check your DNS Event Log and post back any warning or errors here.

Run nslookup, does it resolve correctly the first time around?