Options

Preparing for BSCI 642-901

Gaztop1Gaztop1 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

just posting to find out what is the BSCI exam like, i been reading some of your posts and all make it sound really daunting, and some not so much.

I am Currently using the CCNP Training Video i got from the CiscoPress site and i bought the Cisco CCNP Library as well from Ciscopress... the books are a good read some of the text bit confusing but its expected... (also bought the Command Line library books aswell )

My question is are these materials good to use ? i am using Netsim but i am not 100% convinced by it ... got any suggestions on other apps and if so where can i get my hands on a copy and how much etc? i am hoping to do the BSCI exam hopefully next month....

I have read through the BSCI book once alread this second read i am nearly done ( been making load and loads of notes almost word for word ) just to get things sunk in.

CCNA seems like i took it ages ago!!

any help really appreciated thanks guys!

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    I would highly suggest you also pick up the BSCI self study guide as it goes way more in depth then the exam certification guide which seems to be more for review when you get closer to exam time. unless you have tons of hands on experience I'm not sure if the exam cert guides would be enough to pass. I've also found the TCP/IP routing volume I and II books by jeff doyle to really help clarify the topics

if you enjoy the video learning you might want to check out the cbt nuggets or train signal bsci videos also
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, well the books i have i mean they do have a good foundation section in the beginning of each chapter which really does help, hands on experience that i am lacking at the moment ( you know in south africa to get that kind of experience very hard ) ... i been contemplating buying one of those Cisco Kits a small one just to play with and get better hands on knowledge. But pricing is major concern.

But i will definitatly check out the CBT nuggets... i find the Video's do help when you can actually see what they doing... my only problem is absorbing all the commands writing them out helps but not quite the same if you working on equipment daily!

Much Appreciate the advice thanks!
  • Options
    also got any resources on IPV6 i really would like something that can help me grasp all that... thats a big nightmare for me.
  • Options
    PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    Yea, i'm using CBT nuggets and the exam cert guide and my whiteboard. I draw out stuff a lot whether it be notes or diagrams .. so far its working and i have a pretty good grasp on the concepts. The self-study guide is a good book too as it really goes the acutal mechanics and "why" something is the way it is.. CBT nuggets also does this just in a different way.

There is a lot to the BSCI, i have been studying for about 3 weeks to a month now and I still probably have another month of studying left ahead of me before i feel I'm ready.

Your milage may/will vary though.
    CCIE - COMPLETED!