Options

Back Up Systems: Enterprise vs. Vault

mrgetdown88mrgetdown88 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
Can someone explain the difference between enterprise backup systems and vault backup systems? I need to know for a job interview, and google is not being very cooperative right now... icon_evil.gif
XBox Live: xGetDownNoobx
Working towards 70-291 and CCNA
Future Goals (In this order):CCNA, MCSA, CCNP, MCITP:EA, CEH

"Consider yourselves lucky I'm not after your gully holes..."

Comments

• Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    I think a vault backup system would be considered an online backup to a redundant data center. Something that is set, forget, and locked away.

Enterprise backup system could be classified as anything really. Symantec Backup Exec, Acronis, etc etc.

I don't think either of the two are common terms but more of an opinion really. Not exactly fair to test you on something like that. I don't even see the relevance between the two as to why you would compare them to each other. Both are equally as important.

What company is this if you don't mind me asking?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    A term you'll see thrown out there, along with vault or televault, is something called ROBO. This stands for Remote Office/Branch Office. This term is used when you're pulling data from multiple offices to one central office for storage, but not necessarily backing up directly to an offsite location like a datacenter. Vaulting generally refers to the process of backing up data from your network to an outside location, like a datacenter or hot site, for example.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Or a "vault backup system" in this case could be referring to the process of automated on-line archiving of data that is either old or infrequently accessed (ala Symantec/Veritas Enterprise Vault) whether it be files, email, SharePoint, etc.

"Enterprise" backup to me means more along the lines of Symantec/Veritas NetBackup, TSM, DataProtector, etc. and not the offerings aimed at smaller businesses (Backup Exec, etc).