Options

SID's

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

Can anyone clarify this statement

"Note that just changing the computer name or adding the computer to a different domain does not change the computer SID. Changing the name or domain only changes the domain SID if the computer was previously associated with a domain"

I was under the impression that there was only 1 but it appers there are 2, a domain sid and a computer sid

Has anyone ever had an issue with this, i usually just rename a client which generates a new (domain) sid, but I have never had any further issues with a client once i have dont this

Lee H

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    SIDs really come into play if you image/clone your systems. Then you need to make sure each system has a different SID (sysprep does this for you).
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I only clone machines not associated with the domain and have never had a problem. Once the machine has been imaged, the only thing left to do is add it to the domain and everything is set.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Renaming doesn't create a new sid, it stays with that computer object as long as it exists in the domain, regardless of name, unless you run a tool like newsid.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    So the SID is only a reference on the server, i understand this now, i would always dis-join from domain then rename the client, then when i re-join it creates a new account thus a new SID

Trust Msoft to over complicate things again, typical icon_lol.gif