Options

Nice to be back! Now I need some advice!

Hello all,

I haven't posted on here for a while. I finally finished the school portion of my Associate's Degree and I am onto my Internship now. I have been very busy lately but I would like to attempt a couple more certs before I graduate (October) because my school reimburses me if I pass. As you can see, I do have my MCSE and would like to add the :s and :m. My only issue is that I am wondering what would be the better choice to take right now for me. I don't do any e-mail related tasks at work, but at the same time I don't do any security related tasks either except for maybe some GPO stuff. Which do you guys think will be the easier road to take right now? I am looking to get as many done as I can while my school is still paying for them. I plan on taking the rest eventually anyway but that is when I will have more time to study for them.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Wow, tough choice! Both are in demand and good to know.....

I would honestly lean more towards the Security and the reason I say that is because it does not have to stop with MS technology. The topic of Security has a place in almost every technology and is an issue with pretty much every vendor. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did you do 297 for your MCSE?

I'd say security is easier. Almost all of it comes from 291/293. Messaging is a whole different animal.

Edit: Welcome back and congrats on wrapping up your degree!
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    If it were me, I'd do the Exchange one, only because some people don't really credit MCSE: S as meaning you really know security. Often they look for other certs for that. However, being certified in Exchange often does help validate your Exchange knowledge with potential employers.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Magnum2544Magnum2544 Member Posts: 103
    Dynamik: Thank you!

The one thing that I like about security is that, like Megadeth4168 said, it doesn't have to end with MS. I would take the Security+ as a substitute for it, and I can always continue on to CISSP (some day, maybe) or something along those lines. However, the fact that it has the potential to be such a long path makes me think that it may be better to focus on knocking the 2 Exchange exams out, and then move onto security and just stay focused on security after I graduate.

I feel pretty knowledgeable with Exchange, and if I ask my boss, he will be more than happy to let me work on some Exchange stuff. Also, I am very good at self-study. I feel that I can knock out the 2 Exchange tests within the next month and a half. I have been studying for 284 now for a little while so I should be able to knock it out soon.

Let me know what you guys think about focusing on :M right now and :S afterward (since it is so expandable).

Also, if anyone feels like chiming in, I am considering pursuing my B.S. in Information Technology with Franklin University...and the program is 100% online. Any opinions? I've heard online is valued the same, if not more than traditional campuses because it suggests that the individual is capable of pacing themselves, working independently, and prioritizing.

I know it's alot, but please give me some feedback.

Much appreciated!