Where's my "do" command?!

scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well I was playing around with a router today and I went to use the greatest command ever (do) and I got invalid input detected... First time I have ever gotten that while trying to use the do command. I assume it is because of the IOS (c2600-i-mz.121-2) that is on this particular router. This is also the first time I have used an IOS other than the more feature packed IOSes like advipservicesk9-mz.123-11.

That made me curious what IOSes do not support the do command? And who else is driven nuts by the fact that you can not use the do command on the test sims?

Edit: Forgot to mention, if I do #do ? I get "<0-999999>.<0-999999> Version number
"
What's that about?
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comments

• shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I'd have to agree with you I think I had the same issue on an older version of IOS..
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Didn't come out until like 12.3 I think.
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Well I was playing around with a router today and I went to use the greatest command ever (do) and I got invalid input detected... First time I have ever gotten that while trying to use the do command. I assume it is because of the IOS (c2600-i-mz.121-2) that is on this particular router. This is also the first time I have used an IOS other than the more feature packed IOSes like advipservicesk9-mz.123-11.

That made me curious what IOSes do not support the do command? And who else is driven nuts by the fact that you can not use the do command on the test sims?

Edit: Forgot to mention, if I do #do ? I get "<0-999999>.<0-999999> Version number
    "
    What's that about?

scheistermeister,

According to the Command History section of the "do" command in the "Cisco IOS Configuration Fundamentals Command Reference" it states "Release 12.2( 8 )T - This command was introduced."

Source:
    1. Cisco IOS Configuration Fundamentals Command Reference - D through E [Support] - Cisco Systems -http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/fundamentals/command/reference/cf_d1.html#wp1015951
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    scheistermeister,

According to the Command History section of the "do" command in the "Cisco IOS Configuration Fundamentals Command Reference" it states "Release 12.2( 8 )T - This command was introduced."

Source:
    1. Cisco IOS Configuration Fundamentals Command Reference - D through E [Support] - Cisco Systems -http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/fundamentals/command/reference/cf_d1.html#wp1015951

Good to know! Thanks for that!
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    Oh man I had no concept of the "do" command until i started my bsci training.. its almost as invaluable to me as debug!
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Plazma wrote:
    Oh man I had no concept of the "do" command until i started my bsci training.. its almost as invaluable to me as debug!

I didn't learn about it and the | until I watched CBT Nuggets for the forst time when I started the BSCI in the Net Acad. Two of the best commands I have ever learned.
  • tomsettomset Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What does "do" refer to? I know what the command does but why did they choose the word "do"?
    Next up:
    CCIP
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tomset wrote:
    What does "do" refer to? I know what the command does but why did they choose the word "do"?

"do this enable command in global config mode"

It makes it so that you can execute commands without exiting global config and following config modes first.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    for example

'do show running-configuration' works from an interface config mode.

Its great for running show commands without having to come all the way out of the middle of a config.
  • tomsettomset Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Paul Boz wrote:
    tomset wrote:

It makes it so that you can execute commands without exiting global config and following config modes first.

So why not just enable the same command in global config mode? Couldn't they just allow "sh run" in global config?
    Next up:
    CCIP
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    tomset wrote:
    Paul Boz wrote:
    tomset wrote:

So why not just enable the same command in global config mode? Couldn't they just allow "sh run" in global config?
    Probably, but the code change required would have been prohibitive since they would have had to account for all 12 bazillion commands.