Options

Link a GPO to an OU

TontonsamTontonsam Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
While I am studying for this certification, I usually see that question mention that you link the GPO for the Sales OU for example. Is there a difference between apply a GPO to the OU or link a GPO to the OU. I mean that when I apply a GPO to the OU, I right click to the OU / properties and create a GPO. While understanding the whole aspect of GPO is not essential on 70-290, but I think that if you know your GPO well, you can say you have a good knowledge on server 2003. Can you clarify that for me?
MCP 70-270 / 70-290

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Grab the group policy management console: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/gpmc/default.mspx

That will make it easier to understand visually. Basically what is happening is you are creating a GPO in a list of GPOs and then the way the GPO is applied somewhere is by linking the GPO to wherever you are wishing to apply. It works this way so that you can link the same GPO to multiple areas in the domain instead of creating a duplicate of the same policy all over.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Tontonsam wrote:
    Is there a difference between apply a GPO to the OU or link a GPO to the OU. I mean that when I apply a GPO to the OU, I right click to the OU / properties and create a GPO.
    There are 2 options.

1-Create and Link
    2-Link

The only other thing related to "applying" a GPO might be to enforce it to be sure it wins out. But there is no "apply" that I know of.
  • Options
    TontonsamTontonsam Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You create it and link with GPMC? I see I can't install GPMC on my XP Machine. Maybe it should be install on the server. I think it was like adminpak. But I still never experience a link GPO. How I am using it now? I go directly to the OU, create the GPO and edit it.
    MCP 70-270 / 70-290