Let me know your duties as System Admin/Engineer.

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
I took a new job about a month ago... My job discription is as follows.. I find my self doing more engineer work day to day. I have had to fix only 2 things so far and I basically am waiting for more projects to arise. I spend most of my time using vbs scripts and visio to look for design flaws and ways to improve the current infastructure. To put it blatently... I am BORED. I was recently promoted and I am currently below the Vice President of Operations..

I have worked for medium and small businesses in the past. This is my first company that I would consider Enterprise. They are globally known and have 10 datacenters. Most contracts are 5 million or more.

Below is my job description.

ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES

o Manage all servers supporting "company name" customer base.
o Manage servers in an Active Directory environment, ensuring that each server and supported applications approaches 100% uptime.
o Troubleshoots problems with web services, mail services, file and print services, and overall aspects of an Applications Service Provider (ASP) solution.
o Provide Tier I and II support for open customer trouble tickets, coordinating with Help Desk personnel and customers when necessary.
o Maintains a broad knowledge of operating systems, programming languages and hardware.
o Monitor system logs and activity on all servers and devices.
o May lead or guide the work of other staff engaged in similar functions.
o Plan, coordinate, and execute releases of software updates.
o Completing scheduled support/service calls and projects.
o Providing network and advanced product support both in-house and potentially on customer sites.
o Installation and configuration of new systems and the maintenance and troubleshooting of existing systems.
o Maintaining files on installed networked and advanced systems to assist with future modifications or additions to the systems.
o Utilizing all resources both internal and external to resolve an open support issue in a timely manner.
o Treating the clients with the highest level of professionalism.
o Attending all network and or service support meetings.
o Provide support on the high-end networking solutions and research solutions and problems to assist the entire networking department to provide superior service to the customer.
o Continue training and education on new technologies relating to network systems and the specialization chosen.
o After hours and weekend work is required during planned installation and maintenance windows

QUALIFICATIONS

o Minimum of an associate degree in Computer Science or equivalent training and experience can be substituted.
o Minimum of four years experience in systems administration and networking.
o Must have completed Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) training and tests successfully or be working towards completion.
o Certification in one or more of the following areas of expertise or progress towards achieving certification: VMWare, Microsoft SharePoint, Citrix, Oracle, SQL, Web Development.
o Good understanding of installing and trouble shooting personal computer based applications in a network environment.
o Good understanding of basic networking principles.
o Knowledge of TCP/IP stacks and their functionality.
o Advanced knowledge and troubleshooting of Windows Server and Linux (RedHat).
o Advanced knowledge of Internet Information Services 5.x and 6.0.
o Knowledge and troubleshooting of Microsoft Exchange 2003.
o Working knowledge of web application security, understanding of vulnerabilities and countermeasures.
o Good understanding of Microsoft Server and Client applications, to include: WSUS, SMS, Active Directory (AD), DNS, file, print, and SharePoint.
o Working knowledge of server management and monitoring software (OpManager, NetCool, etc.).
o Good understanding of server virtualization, namely VMWare and the ESX application.
o Good understanding of a Citrix environment and applications.
o Working knowledge of Deltek server applications.
o Working knowledge of Oracle and SQL database management and troubleshooting.
o Knowledge of website creation and management, including its underlying applications.
o Working knowledge of data backup methodologies, specifically using CommVault software.
o Strong communication skills both face to face and telephone.
o Strong time management, organizational, and documentation skills.
o Ability and desire to learn new skills quickly.
o Effectively communicate issues and resolutions to all levels of the organization.
o Ability to maintain confidentiality with sensitive customer and internal information.
o Strong commitment to the customer, the overall customer service organization and other members of the team.
o Professional, dependable attitude that is oriented towards customers and a cooperative and positive spirit in working with other team members.
o Must be physically capable of lifting computers, monitors, printers, and related supplies.

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    My job description is, "And other duties as assigned."

I'm fairly bored at my current job as well. That's why I'm on the forums so much. I do try and come up with challenging and useful projects to improve things around here. Though every once in a while a project is just for my own personal enjoyment/learning and not necessarily required by the company. :) I dislike the "other duties" part though. But the inventing projects is what keeps me from going completely stark raving mad, as opposed to mostly.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    undomiel wrote:
    My job description is, "And other duties as assigned."

I'm fairly bored at my current job as well. That's why I'm on the forums so much. I do try and come up with challenging and useful projects to improve things around here. Though every once in a while a project is just for my own personal enjoyment/learning and not necessarily required by the company. :) I dislike the "other duties" part though. But the inventing projects is what keeps me from going completely stark raving mad, as opposed to mostly.

Hahaha! I have the same exact wording "And other duties as assigned" at the end of my contract!
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats on your promotion.

Well basically, I am the IT department at my company. We have 2 other software engineers that do software for our packaging equipment we sell, SQL and our intranet applications. They are supposed to be my backup if I'm gone. But if the problem is more complicated than just restarting the server, they are clueless. This is why my cell phone always accidentally get's "lost" when I go on vacation.

I work for a small company who never really had a true person dedicated to IT before. Initially I was hired to do videos initially but later basically took over the network and became the network administrator. I was never given a list of my responsibilities once I became the Network Administrator....All they care about is uptime for our 2 sites, 50 client PC's, 6 servers, 2 firebox's, switches, ect. As long as all is good, I'm golden.

I am bored at my job too though. Hence, my involvement here and obtaining my certs. Tentatively when I get my MCSE, I'm going to test the job market.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    kinda like that for me at work too.

-Make/delete accoutns
    -backups
    -security audits
    -SQL scripts here and there
    -Load Crypto
    -update software
    -create Documentation
    -Look for new stuff to add
    -monitor for trends

When I was at a NOC it was even worse

-connect ships to T1
    -connect ships to other comms sources
    -T/S DNS Servers
    -T/S EIGRP and OSPF

If you are board take advantage of the free time. I used my time at the NOC to Complete certs and work on my degree. If I was studying a Cisco book nobody bothered me. As long as I was taking calls and getting issues resolved. If you have the time you can work on more certs that will help you when its time to move on. Even if you just get in a chapter a day. Better to do it at work and get paid for it, than to have to do it on your free time at home. :D
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    I'm also working for a company that never had dedicated IT staff.

These are the exact requirements copy/pasted from the job description:

Applicant must have knowledge of Network Design and implementation, Active Directory in Windows Server 2003 as well as Microsoft Exchange. Unix is a plus but not required. Individual will be responsible for maintenance of a 4 Server Cluster, all company computers and hardware, and telecom system.
    4 server cluster

Pretty funny because there were no clustered servers... it was just 4 servers. No wait, in fact it was 2 tower servers when I started. We now have 9 in a rack.
    will be responsible for maintenance of telecom system

Which I cheated by convincing the company to change phone systems. :P We had antique Nortel Meridians in which was replaced by an ESI phone system. Well I mean there was more to it. By changing our phone system we still saved money by swapping over to a different voice and data provider.

...and yes. I'm bored too!
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Ok good. Glad to hear that I am not the only one in my position that is having this problem.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TechJunky wrote:
    Ok good. Glad to hear that I am not the only one in my position that is having this problem.

you are not alone. When I have dead time, I study my arse off. I, along with all the others, will be doing the same thing once I get the MCSE...
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    TechJunky wrote:

Check out one of my old posts, maybe you can contribute as well as benefit from some of the ideas mentioned there.

http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35379
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    We Use OpManager for Network monitoring, server uptime etc.

We have a WSUS Server in place...

The only thing I can think of is fix the Active Directory Problem that we have. However, this needs to be approved by management and can only be done though a maintanance window. Right now I am pretty much just in a wait phase. I created a 3 page document yesterday on the oustanding issues for our company and how we should approach those issues. All of our servers are co-located in a datacenter on a SAN via ESX Server so I dont deal with any physical hardware. So cleaning cables etc is out of the scope.

I have my own Linux server co-located and I have setup mail/web/spamfiltering/dns etc. So I am kinda bored for the time being.

I guess I will study up for my 291. 9:00am tomorrow is the only time available if I apply today to take the exam. Dang 24 hour notice.