Options

EARTHQUAKE!!!

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,030 Admin
We just had a very nice rumbler here in Southern California.

Comments

• Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    *Pictures JD sat calmly at the computer still typing whilst everyone else flees in terror* icon_confused.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My guesstimate is around 4.0 Intensity in Pasadena...

And yes I run out of the building I was the 1st one out icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    bertieb wrote:
    *Pictures JD sat calmly at the computer still typing whilst everyone else flees in terror* icon_confused.gif
    Yes, that was just about the scene here. I'm just waiting for the USGS Web servers to respond.

Looks like a 5.6 about 8 miles deep in Chino Hills. That's fairly close to me.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    bertieb wrote:
    Yes, that was just about the scene here. I'm just waiting for the USGS Web servers to respond.

Looks like a 5.6 about 8 miles deep in Chino Hills. That's fairly close to me.

It didnt creep up to the bay area?

Im glad youre okay. One thing I dont miss about CA is those.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    WATCH OUT FOR MORE AFTER SHOCKS!!!
  • Options
    jbaello wrote:
    WATCH OUT FOR MORE AFTER SHOCKS!!!
    You're not kidding. It lasted for about 20 seconds and took a while to completely stop. I wouldn't surprise me to feel a few more temblers later today.

Anyway, I'm off to lunch. Just another day in sunny SoCal... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Must've been a small one, we didn't feel a thing up here. Take it easy out there, James, we don't want you spilling your coffee during an aftershock.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
  • Options
    Based on this graph Chino Hills is the epicenter
  • Options
    Tech109Tech109 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We felt it down in San Diego quite strongly - funny, the San Diego Union Tribune website would not respond shortly after - everyone in SD must've been hitting it at the same time. The LA Times site came right up though. Conclusion: San Diego is more internet-savvy than Los Angeles! icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    Tech109 wrote:
    We felt it down in San Diego quite strongly - funny, the San Diego Union Tribune website would not respond shortly after - everyone in SD must've been hitting it at the same time. The LA Times site came right up though. Conclusion: San Diego is more internet-savvy than Los Angeles! icon_wink.gif

Or LA inhabitants know that http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/ is a better source than the local newpaper :P
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
    rumble tumble... i was in a very crappy building.. the whole thing shook.. also from san diego..
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    i'd take earthquakes over tornados or hurricanes. any day.

edit: to clear things up, i was born in california and moved to SC when i was like 12.

I'm actually thinking about giving my love for guns up (see: storing them in Nevada) and moving back once i get enough work experience to make it out there.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    I'm back from lunch and no noticeable aftershocks to report, although there has been a cascade of small quakes across Orange County, including one near my alma mater of Cal State Fullerton.

http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/Los_Angeles.html
  • Options
    CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    Tech109 wrote:

Ya im here in downtown San Diego...
    I've come to the conclusion that I really dont care for earthquakes...
    Im just glad my building is less than 5 years old.

Good Game.
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Darthn3ss wrote:

edit: to clear things up, i was born in california and moved to SC when i was like 12.

I'm actually thinking about giving my love for guns up (see: storing them in Nevada) and moving back once i get enough work experience to make it out there.

some as yourself, except I moved to AZ. I dunno though, earthquakes are completely random, and there is no 'season' for them. At least with hurricanes and tornadoes you get seasons and can predetermine an upcoming event; at least better than an earthquake.

I was in the '89 quake, and it was not fun to say the least. I was in Nebraska during tornado season a few years ago, and there were plenty of telltale signs to get in the basement.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    snadam wrote:
    Darthn3ss wrote:

some as yourself, except I moved to AZ. I dunno though, earthquakes are completely random, and there is no 'season' for them. At least with hurricanes and tornadoes you get seasons and can predetermine an upcoming event; at least better than an earthquake.

I was in the '89 quake, and it was not fun to say the least. I was in Nebraska during tornado season a few years ago, and there were plenty of telltale signs to get in the basement.
    tornados are still fairly random

but my thinking is this: atleast with a earthqauke you have no notice if your life is going to get ruined.

hurricanes, you've got like 6 months or so of "so, is this the year i loose my house, job, and city to mother nature" everytime theres a storm brewing.

yeah, i know, i'm weird.

also, i was not even 1 year old when the '89 earthquake hit. :d
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Random... I was just standing on the breaking point to the Hayward fault Saturday too.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't trust Murray, this earthquake was HUGE. It left half of LA in ruins and burning. There are sirens and fire trucks everywhere.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    KGhaleon wrote:
    Don't trust Murray, this earthquake was HUGE. It left half of LA in ruins and burning. There are sirens and fire trucks everywhere.
    If a 5.4 in OC can do that to LA, imagine what an 8.0+ will really do!

Seriously, we are just not prepared out here for a big quake. And by "we" I mean the people, cities, counties, and the state as a whole. It's gonna be a Katrina-like situation, but with fire and earth instead of water.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    KGhaleon wrote:
    If a 5.4 in OC can do that to LA, imagine what an 8.0+ will really do!

Seriously, we are just not prepared out here for a big quake. And by "we" I mean the people, cities, counties, and the state as a whole. It's gonna be a Katrina-like situation, but with fire and earth instead of water.

with a little Heart.

California just doesn't agree with the rest of the U.S, so perhaps it's better if it breaks off and forms a new country with Hawaii.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Apparently the 5.4 in OC was enough to effect some of the phone system in out site in Berkley.