Options

Took on the beast this afternoon..

mipoukmipouk Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
and can now say that my path to the MCSA is completed!

I really spent a lot of time practicing with RRAS and DNS, and scored 968. I finally got my head around forwarding, conditional forwarding, and other features of DNS that are quite similar which i found hard to differentiate.Had to take my test in Birmingham (in the UK) and not worcester as i couldnt wait any longer to take the test - My head was ready to explode!

I also had the same simulation question that other people have mentioned in recent posts, and loads of DNS and DHCP questions. Not too much on RRAS i must say.

For study i used the big blue MS press book. I also had the CBT nuggets which were really helpful. I would strongly recommend setting up a virtual machine or two, just for the DNS topic. Get zone transfers on the go, and lots of different zones and delegations.

Do you get another credit card thing for the MCSA in a welcome pack of some sort? Just need to secure a job since i got made redundant earlier this month - now i can say ive got the MCSA it should hopefully help a bit.....

cheers,

Comments

• Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats! Nice score too!

Yes, you can get another care pack from Microsoft. However, you have to login and request one. They aren't just going to send one automatically. Of course, as you probably know it doesn't cost anything.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    amazing score!
    -Daniel
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Very Nice score...congrats!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass, that's a very impressive score! Yup, you'll get another MCP card, a whole new welcome kit, and new goodies on the MCP site, as this is a brand new-cert for you. Are you planning on knocking out 70-293 next, while all that infrastructure information is still fresh in your head?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    mipoukmipouk Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah i think 70-293 would be the next best cert to do. Ive got the blue MS press book ready and waiting. If i can do the 293, 294, and perhaps 297 fairly quickly, I can do the Vista 70-620 as my elective which should be a nice and easy last exam to finish on. Its annoying that the A+ and Network+ are only electives on the MCSA, but i fancied doing the vista one anyway - That would make me MCITP aswell as MCSE, is that correct?

Ta.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass.

The 70-620 on it's own would give you a single MCTS (Vista, Configuration), not an MCITP. If you then chose to do say, 70-622, it'd give you an MCITP:Enterprise Support Technician.

The list of current MCITP's and what you'd need to do to achieve them can be found here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcitp/default.mspx

The 70-620 is worth doing if only for the fact it count's towards the MCITP:Enterprise Administrator track for Windows Server 2008. The 70-620 wasn't that difficult IMO and I think you'll find it straight forward after completing the rest of the MCSE exams. Good luck!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Top score. Congratulations icon_thumright.gif
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    banderas1978banderas1978 Member Posts: 189
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass and achieving your MCSA! :D
  • Options
    dvalenzueladvalenzuela Member Posts: 123