Why do you get certified ?

2»

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm trying to obtain a massive cert list in order to overcome certain shortcomings, if you know what I mean icon_redface.gif
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    The size of your... *clearing throat* feet? LOL...
    Good luck to all!
  • RD28327RD28327 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The devil made me do it ..... LOL icon_twisted.gif
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    The size of your... *clearing throat* feet? LOL...
    Small shoes and gloves? icon_scratch.gif
  • unclejohnnyunclejohnny Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1. marketability
    2. because i get bored at work
    3. to throw them up into my coworkers faces
    4. because once you start getting them they become addictive
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." Willy Wonka
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    1- to keep from punching myself in the face when there's not much work going on
    2- stay ahead of the curve in case i need to look for a job
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I started because the career guy at my college, who also had his own consulting business, said it would be hard to get hired without certification, and he wouldn't hire anyone if they didn't have any. I went out and got my CCNA during my last year in school, and got an internship that turned into a full time job in large part because I had a CCNA. Back in 2001, it still opened doors, I guess.

Today, I use certification for two reasons: 1) to backup/reinforce what I already know and have experienced; 2) as a learning tool for something that I am or will be required to know for my job. I used to do it because I had free time at home and at my various jobs, but that is a thing of the distant past.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    brad- wrote:
    3 - to keep your morale up when you are stuck in a dead-end job and don't have any immediate opportunities for better employment.
  • tallicaman99tallicaman99 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    4. because once you start getting them they become addictive

Kinda like Tattoos?

1. to enhance the resume
    2. to obtain knowledge and enhance IT skills
    3. to move up in the food chain (hopefully)
    barmetallicafanjb1.jpg
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So that I can get a better job and be able to afford the missus' shoe shopping habit icon_rolleyes.gif

Seriously though, I've been in IT for 9yrs (eek) and thought it's about time to help make the experiences detailed in the CV shine a bit - I need a change of scenery!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    it allows me to mesure myself and for some reason if im not reading a book or studing i dont fell right i feel like something is missing even my wife calls it an addiction and is been two years since i stared collecting certs and you know at first i never thought i was gooing to be A+ certify now im 2 test away from ccnp
  • jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    JDMurray wrote:
    brad- wrote:
    3 - to keep your morale up when you are stuck in a dead-end job and don't have any immediate opportunities for better employment.

Exactly my situation. Been in hardware repair 2 years for the same company. Applied for 2 separate positions within the company. One was a help desk technician and the other was a junior network admin job. I was passed over on both by someone outside the company.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I do it to stay current on technology and to advance my career. I started at 14/hr and 3 years and about 4 certs later I'm making 32/hr. They def help.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • unclejohnnyunclejohnny Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jbrown414 wrote:
    JDMurray wrote:
    brad- wrote:

Exactly my situation. Been in hardware repair 2 years for the same company. Applied for 2 separate positions within the company. One was a help desk technician and the other was a junior network admin job. I was passed over on both by someone outside the company.

At my last job I got passed over seven times while trying to transition either to engineering or IT from tech support, so that they could hire someone from outside. Damn that place made me mad
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." Willy Wonka
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    brad- wrote:

I second this notion because that is how it has been for me in the past year. Regardless of the lack of sleep, I felt compelled to continue to study every day M-F for 3-4 hours a day. The job is a dead end, but the studying and certifications are not. :D

Funny how some people see collecting certifications being like pokemon. icon_lol.gif